Newbies Post Your Tourney AARs Here!!

Originally posted by SuperTed:

This is indoor soccer, where the scoring is as frequent as an after-prom party. :D

Wow, I gotta stop hitting those singles bars and get into soccer! Any all-girl teams, or better yet, bikini leagues?

tongue.gif

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAR – Nothing Fancy

Austin Bowie v. Lord Vader

NOTE: Info is revealed.

INITIAL PLANS

Ordered to secure and hold the Konstigplatz area against expected enemy attack. We were unable to relieve Gruppe RosaBlumen prior to their withdrawal with intelligence indicating enemy activity in the area.

Two 105mm howitzers were in place guarding center and right access roads under the command of Unterkasefuhrer Erdbeere..

Unsure of amount of armor support to arrive Two platoons and the bulk of heavy weapons support were assigned to move to advantageous cover in the center where they could gain good Line of sight while remaining unseen. Similarly third platoon with AT and MG elements where sent to advantageous cover on the right (Southeast).

Platoon commander Kuhlshrank was left on top of the ridge in order to keep most likely enemy approach under observation.

Initial plan was for armor to link with elements on right (Southeast) and secure the Southeast most clearing then advance Northwest on either side of the trees line.

Deployment

As rifle platoons were deploying in haste to secure advantageous position, reserve armor elements arrived sooner and in greater numbers than expected. Contact was made with enemy armor elements that crested the opposite ridge at similar time; exchange of fire was ineffectual for both sides.

Following plan the bulk of initial armor elements were directed to the Northwest (3xStuG) with one StuG held behind Bocage in the center. Additional armor elements arrived over the next several minutes. Again encountering enemy armor elements as they crested the ridge. 7 Panzers were sent Southeast the remaining 1 Panzer were sent to join the StuG in reserve at center,

All rifle platoons achieved their initial objectives w/o incident. 1st platoon on the Northwest side of the center road, 2nd platoon on the Southeast side of the center road, and 3rd platoon on the Southeast side w/ 1st and 2nd Squad to the Northwest of the road and 3rd Squad and Platoon HQ to the Southeast of the road. Support elements were a few minutes behind.

Out the Window

As always, the best laid plans… go out the window.

3rd Platoon, 3rd Squad on the Southeast side of the Southeast road observe a large force, estimated at 2 platoons with heavy weapons, and at least 2 Armored Vehicles heading towards the scattered trees on the Southeast edge.

The squad is ordered to open fire to see what kind of response they will draw. Heavy fire is returned to no effect.

Friendly Armor around the Southeast clearing is deployed to the Northwest and South behind some tree cover. They have LOS up to about the edge of the scattered trees on the North side of the clearing. 105mm Howitzer rotates to cover the North side of the clearing

Infantry elements observe a column of six Sherman deploy along the Northwest-Southeast axis on the Northwest side of the center road. The two AT elements assigned to the center are ordered to the Northwest edge but insist on a short nap first.

Armor elements (2 Panzers) that had been ordered to the Southeast or turned around and sent to the Northwest and deploy along the Southeast and South edge of the clearing to the Northwest of the center road, in a position to observe the North tree line of the clearing. The StuG and Panzer in reserve deploy similarly. The 105mm Howitzer is ordered to rotate to cover the clearing to the Northwest of the center road.

CONTACT

Initial strategy had been rendered useless, there was serious concern about the center as infantry was exposed to enemy armor, and armor support was outnumbered.

On the Southeast I felt we had an advantage in armor, however there was concern that the enemy would attack the cover on the South side of the clearing, nullifying that advantage in the short term.

Fortunately the enemy moved to seize the clearings on both fronts.

On the Southeast Enemy infantry supported by armor moved Northwest through the scattered trees. Enemy armor was first heard than spotted by friendly armor and the 105mm howitzer. On two occasions a Sherman appeared exiting the tree line and they were quickly destroyed. The howitzer then continued to fire area fire along the tree line.

Enemy infantry elements engaged 3d squad of the 3rd platoon along with the 3rd platoon HQ.

In the center, the column of Shermans moved through the scattered trees and quickly came underfire from my armor elements and the 105mm Howitzer. Two Shermans were knocked out in the initial rush. The rest laid smoke and began to retreat. At this point infantry AT elements were in the woods behind and the Sherman column.

Confidence was high at this point, as the location of the bulk of the enemy force had been idenitified, and significant armor assets destroyed. In the center, a substantial armored force was effectively surrounded. On the Southeast the enemy had the advantage in Infantry, however, this was mitigated by our overwhelming armor advantage.

TO THE OFFENSE

On the Southeast 3rd Squad 3rd Platoon and HQ element of 3rd Platoon came under heavy fire and were eliminated before they could withdraw, and join 1st and 2nd Squads 3rd platoon who were moving to a position covered by the howitzer and armor.

4 tanks (1xStuG and 3xPanzers) were moved down the Southeast road, two breaking to the Northwest to guard against potential enemy counter attack, two to the Southeast to surround the enemy positions in the trees around the Southeast clearing. On the South side, armor elements attempted to engage enemy infantry moving through the woods towards the road, and rescue the stricken infantry elements. Poor sight lines lead to ineffectual fire. Additional armor elements positioned themselves to move through the scattered trees from the South and Northwest.

In the center, infantry AT elements knocked out a pair of retreating Shermans as armor and the howitzer fired smoke along the tree line in preparation for and assault. 2nd platoon began to move to the Southeast with the intention of linking up with 3rd platoon. In addition 81mm FO was sent to the Southeast.

At this point the action had been about 18 minutes long.

TAKING CONTROL

On the Southeast side of the Southeast road, armor elements were engaged by infantry AT and a Sherman. The Bazooka forced a StuG to shoot smoke and retreat, while a panzer identified and dispatched the Sherman with one shot (thank you Apollo). Both were then able to force the Bazooka to retreat with MG fire.

Armor elements on the South side moved through the trees from the South and Northwest, securing the clearing. No enemy was sighted.

Enemy infantry continued to move through woods on the Northwest side of the Southeast road, routing the remaining squads of the 3rd platoon. Weapons support of 3rd platoon got the hell out of the way, moving to the North where they could be covered by the tanks.

2nd platoon moved to the clearing directly to the Southeast of the center road, securing it, and preparing for the advancing enemy infantry.

Additional armor was moved from the Southeast to provide support, while the 81mm FO ran to a position where he could drop area fire into the center of the woods.

In the center, behind the smoke screen armor and infantry moved into the clearing to the Northwest of the center road, hoping to engage and destroy the two remaining Shermans. One panzerschreck team was spotted and eliminated before it could get a shot off, the same Sherman identified and fired on the second panzerschreck team. Fortunately friendly armor arrived in time to destroy that Sherman while it was occupied with the AT teams.

The second Sherman was moving South along the Northwest edge of the clearing, and was quickly destroyed. The clearing was secure.

At this point, around 23 minutes into the action, 9 enemy vehicles had been knocked out without a single loss. The Center and Southeast roads were firmly in my control. I then directed my attention to the remaining clearing and road.

Moving my armor in the clearing to the Northwest of the center road through the tress to the North side of the clearing and moving to the Northwest. They encountered two enemy gun placements, which knocked out one Panzer before both guns were abandoned as a result of fire from the remaining tanks and infantry. On the South side a pair of tanks engaged a pair of Shermans that had secured the perimeter of the Northwest clearing. Neither side recorded hits.

On the Southeast side enemy infantry attempted to move into the clearing on the Southeast side of the center road but were blocked by infantry and armor elements on the South and North side. In the exchange of fire a Panzer was knocked out by enemy AT fire.

The Action ended with control of three clearings starting from the Southeast. The enemy held the Northwest clearing.

We had suffered the loss of two armored vehicles to the enemy’s nine. In addition two enemy guns were knocked out.

LESSONS LEARNED.

A great deal of the success of the operation can be attributed to early control of strategic cover (wooded areas). This allowed me to identify where the enemy was, and perhaps more importantly, where he was not. Thus I was able to identify his points of attack and adjust my resources.

Infantry was used in support of armor by being in position to see what the armor could not. Critically they were able to do so w/o being seen.

I try to set up my attacks/ambushes so that fire would come from multiple angles. Twice the enemy walked right into these traps. On attack, using infantry or smoke, my armor always moved into exposed positions with some idea of what was there and/or behind smoke so they could secure better position.

The only time this was not the case was at the end of the game when an Allied 105mm took out one of my Panzers.

It is ok to retreat. 3rd platoon was decimated needlessly. I tried to use them to hem in allied infantry, and instead they were flattened bit by bit. It would have been better to withdraw them to the North side and then have them lead the assault on the Southeast clearing to clear any reaming infantry AT.

AAR for Nothing Fancy - Axis.

[Excerpts from an email I sent to my opponent, Bobbaro, after the battle was over]

This game was quite different from the first one. First, the artificial looking map, that was even symmetrical. Then the scarcity of forces - at least initially, considering the size of the map. And then finally the weird setup zones,squashed in the corners with a little more leeway for the 105mm guns.I started with a company of plain infantry, and 4 (5?) StuGs (one of which was a 105mm). My strategy, based in part on the outcome of the first game, was to go for only 2 of the 4 VLs in a big way, as I simply didn't have enough forces to do much more than that anyway. The briefing was kind of non-committal about the reinforcements, so I didn't plan for them. I decided to go for my right 2 VLs, as they had better road access.I setup my 2 105mms in the woods, with a view right across the middle of the map. Next to my right-hand one were all my mortars,with an HQ unit in the tree line to provide LOS to the tree lineof the central ridge. HMGs were also setup at the front of the woods tree line, with a similar view. The latter never played a part in the game as it turned out.My infantry was all hidden in the woods, spread out a little to avoid possible incoming arty fire. One platoon was to head for the central road, and the other 2 to the road on my right-hand side. Between then the goal was to enter the woods areas next to the VLs; the latter were too exposed to take over right away. The purpose of these troops was to sneak up to the other side of the woods, and then provide some intel as to what was happening on the other side of the ridge, as for sure I could not see anything there at all.I decided to keep the StuGs hull down at the ridge near my setup zone in order to provide some more spotting and also to harass any units crossing your ridge near your setup zone. OK, then onto the game!

Right away I fired both 105mms blind into the equivalent areas they were in, but on the other side. Simultaneously I started dropping some arty around the same area, as I thought troops might be hidden there. My infantry started moving out, and after a turn or so I sighted some tanks along your setup area ridge line, and some shots were exchanged. I managed to get one "M4?", but your shots seemed very quick and accurate for "M4?"s; one hit a StuG but bounced off.I was quite concerned you had some M10s and/or veteran M4s out there, and decided to pull back the StuGs as they were not going to win that battle (how did I know that? I tried in a test scenario :) Around this time a platoon a Pnz IVs showed up - most welcome at this point. I rushed them out to support the infantry as soon as possible, setting them up to cover the central and right hand roads crossing the central ridge. Not a lot happened during this middle portion of the game, with very few actual unit sightings. It certainly seemed you were not going to advance to your left-hand side, which was fine with me!

At some point more Pnz IV reinforcements showed up - I was concerned about the many tank sighting near your setup area (still thinking there were 76mm or 3" guns out there) and use my StuGs and mortars to provide a nice smokescreen for the Pnz IVs to cross over my setup area ridge and move towards my right-hand 2 VLs.I was somewhat puzzled by your rolling barrage on your right-hand side;it seemed to start in empty fields, were there clearly weren't any of my units. Just to make your life a little more difficult, I decided to drop some arty (blindly) behind your rolling barrage, suspecting that that is where your troops were. I have no idea how much damage(if any) that did, but perhaps made you think that I could see whatyou were doing, and perhaps slowed you down? Towards the end of the game I set up a StuG 75mm and 105mm to cover the road on my left-hand side, i.e. the area where you were advancing, just to possibly slow you down a bit. I sent an HMG along with the StuG 75mm. Unfortunately for me, you had a 105mm set up with LOS to the building the HMG squad entered, and that was pretty much it for them...The StuG 75mm took out an M4 coming out of the woods, but later succumbed to enemy fire itself.

Meanwhile, my Pnz IVs and StuGs had been set up to cover the VLs I suspected you would go for, and also all the roads.This worked out, as the German 75mm guns are just that much more accurate than the standard M4's 75mm, and I ended up taking out an M4 in every one of the last 4 turns of the game or so. As I still really hadn't seen any of your infantry at this point, I decided to fire arty, 105mm and mortars blindly into the tree lines near "your" VLs.This also probably did not have much effect, but may have slowed you down too. If nothing else, it prevented your units from sneaking up to the edge of the woods and observing my units.And so it played out pretty much as I expected - 2 VLs for me, 2 VLs foryou.

The final score [67-33] reflects the higher casualties (mostly tanks) on your side - think in part because of the better German guns, but also because I moved my tanks up quickly and set them up in good ambush positions.

voidhawk

AAR Nothing Fancy

Walker (German) v Hawk (US)

An intriguing map was created by Ted – a square rotated by 90 degrees with a ridge at two opposite tapering corners and a chain of four large high ground squares running across the diagonal parallel to the two ridges in the top and bottom corners, each with a 40 metre wide frame of scattered trees. Each large square was separated by smaller and very small wooded squares and had a small hump in its centre with a flag on top. The main setup zone was situated behind and on the ridge, with a second zone comprising a narrow strip of the ridge and two (or three?) setup boxes roughly halfway between the ridge and the flags. Distance from ridge to ridge about 1200 metres.

The German commander split his company of regular rifle 44 troops into 4 groups, 2 full platoons and 2 half platoons, one under the company commander. The two howitzers were placed on each side of the ridge in woods with LOS to parts of the central high ground and to the opposite ridge. Two 81 mm mortars took up position on the back slope, as did the two HMGs and the 81 mm spotter. The spare HQ set up on the ridge as spotter for the 81 mm mortars. The spare company HQ started in one of the boxes close to the central chain of VL squares.

The infantry was sent off at a brisk pace towards the centre line of VLs, the 2 half platoons to the first and second and one full platoon each to the third and fourth VLs, from left to right (or NW to SE). The platoon earmarked for the fourth VL was subsequently redirected to join the third-VL platoon in view of the virtual annihilation of the leftmost platoon. This would take quite a while as the distances to be covered were between 500 and 650 metres. The armour was ordered into hopefully hull down positions on the ridge. The spare company commander ran hell for leather for the second VL square with orders to sneak through the scattered trees to the other side of the central chain of VL squares.

Within 3 minutes the recon cc had reached a position to overlook the US side of the battlefield, and was able to make out three platoons of infantry advancing towards the centre diagonal. Accurate 81 mm artillery fire was called in and caused some confusion amongst the advancing troops. In the meantime, the German tanks had reached their firing positions just behind the ridge, just in time to get off a few (ineffectual) rounds at the US tanks cresting the ridge opposite. They were then ordered to proceed to the lower middle ground and directed into positions covering the roads through the central VL chain; 2 StuGs remained on the ridge throughout the battle.

The recon cc came under fire from the advancing US infantry and just managed to retreat into the nearest woods, losing one man. The two leftmost half platoons were attempting to reform into a full platoon to meet the unexpectedly strong US advance to the NW end of the centre chain of VLs. Too late – the left half platoon reached the small wooded square on the left just in time to be very roughly handled by a full US platoon. The other half of the platoon under the recon cc arrived with high hopes of retrieving the situation, but was also shot to pieces. Only one half squad and the HQ survived; the US platoon suffered estimated 50% losses. An infantry support tank and a Pz4 had been ordered to support the infantry. The StuH was destroyed by a Sherman which in turn was knocked out by a Pz4 which in turn was immobilised in a not-too-bad position in the process.

In the meantime the second wave of tanks had arrived, waited hull down for the Shermans, shot at them and missed, and proceeded into the valley below. As a consequence of the terrain and the distances involved any ‘safe’ movement of tanks from north to south and vice versa was very time consuming. Determining LOS was made a lot easier by the symmetric nature of the terrain on both sides of the central VL chain. The tanks were evenly distributed across the map.

A major disaster struck the US force when its third wave of tanks inexplicably stopped on top of the ridge on their way to the front. All four were knocked out by the hull down German panzers. This was probably the decisive moment, and very bad luck for the US commander. This significant disadvantage for the remaining battle resulted in only 2 US tanks surviving to the end, opposed by 9 panzers.

The rest of the game was characterised by attrition by artillery, howitzer and tank fire. Two platoons of German infantry and two HMGs weathered something like 5 minutes of 81 mm artillery fire in a forest, losing quite a few men. No infantry contact worth reporting occurred. The US commander managed to neutralise 2 flags in the final minute by sending units to occupy the flag locations. It’s quite amazing how much fire units can sometimes take without running for cover! The other 2 flags were firmly in German hands, resulting in a 61:23 Axis win.

Compliments to Ted for the ‘and now for something completely different’ scenario, and also to Hawk, who refused to be disheartened by the disaster that befell his tanks on the ridge.

Chris Walker

AAR:

Give and Take-

Silvio Manuel (Canadians)

DStone (Volkssturm)

OK, right off the bat I really fuct it up, by somehow getting it into my head that I was *attacking,* and hence would have the 50% force advantage. I played the whole thing in 3-4 TCP/IP sessions, and the rush of IP play meant that I never really sat back and analzyed the situation and thus never noticed that it said "Meeting Engagement" on the briefing. But I didnt' realized this until it was over...

Anyhow, here's my logic, which was of course "attack" logic. Started out w/ 1 Elite Rifle Pn. I had a hunch that SuperTed would give the Germans Low quality VG or VS troops. I knew I'd have the rest of my Rifle Coy plus some armor coming. So I swung that 1 Pn south, parallel to the village, with a plan to turn east and hit the southern houses. I split 1 squad, and had the half-squads stay on the north end of town, checking each stand of trees or house- screening for the armor that was supposedly coming.

The 2nd and 3rd Pns and the 3" FO showed up. I moved them straight east, towards the middle-western part of the trees approaching the town. I then saw some German troops in the tall pines in front of the 4 VL complex. I was glad- since they'd be fodder in those woods vs. my 2" mortars. That plus some small arms fire sent them packing- confirming my estimate that I would face poorly trained Krauts.

My 1st Pn took some fire from a Pn in the SW large bldg. The Germans were easily suppresed, though. On the North end, I secured many potenial 'Schreck spots, and also secured the NW most large bldg. At this point, I'd only seen about 2 Pns of Germans.

I moved two Pns along the North edge of town, occupying the large bldg with 1, and keeping another back in reserve. I saw the Germans commit another platoon to my right flank, and saw some probably LMGs in the front top floors of the 4 VL complex. I decided that he'd commit more of his troops to my right, so I moved my left Pn forward, and swung my reserve that way also. I felt that those forces, plus my Sherman, 3" FO, and two 2" mortars controlled indirectly, would be enough to take the flag complex. Then the Badger showed up....

I moved the Sherman up so it could shell Germans on my right flank, keeping it hull down in case of schrecks. (by this time we had ID'd the Volkssturm fogies). My left flank Pn in the large bldgs came under attack from squads in two small bldgs. My two split squads on the left saw another German Pn approaching from the rear. I had the Badger speed forward and attack the large house on the N edge...it burst into flames on the 1st shot. On the next turns it lit up the two front bldgs near the VLs. Thankfully those old men never got the courage to fire those nastry Faust-100's.

On my right, I made the mistake of thinking that I had routed the troops in the large bldgs. I ran a half-squad in to mop up/capture the frightened old men, only to be annihilated by the SMG fire of two fresh squads.

I called in offmap 3" fire on the deep right area, since the Germans foolishly had what looked like a whole fresh platoon in the trees, where they'd be chewd up by mortar fire. I also knew that the 3" fire might even suppress/rout the Conscripts *that were in bldgs*. This was true, it did quite a number on them, and I shelled them unmercifully for the rest of the match. I would have liked to put down some smoke cover on my left flank, but a hill blocked the area I wanted to hit. Early in the match, I did waste a bunch of rounds on smoke- the worst was when I forgot to cancel a full-turn smoke mission- another "rushing b/c its TCP/IP" mistake...even w/ no time limit.

I then saw a Kraut halftrack join the party...I didn't ID it at first. I assumed that it was only a 251/1 transport w/ an MG...b/c it only used an MG I thought it wouldn't have the 20mm or 75mm cannon. Then it rushed my left flank, but the Sherman blew it away.

Around turn 21, I ordered two full healthy squads plus their Pn HQ to occupy the Northern rear VL bldg...I had already routed the troops w/ just small arms fire. At the same time, I orderd the Badger to speed along the Northern road, with the intention of burning down the large bldg (that housed troops) and then back to burn down the small house and the end of the road that housed two LMGs that was impeding my effort to take the VL complex...however...

before the Badger moved away, it decided to burn up the already suppressed 'Schreck in the house my men would run into. It went up in flames...and so did my chance for victory. My men ran on, and tried to turn the corner and head for the 1 (southern) bldg that wasn't on fire. They were greeted by a whole fresh VS Pn that was standing in the open, guarding against such a maneuver (in the open, the would be sheltered from any Badger attacks). My attacking troops were slaugtered to a man, thus changing the large flag from my possession (only had it for 1 turn) back to German.

In retrospect, I should have had my infantry wait another turn, for when the Badger rolled up the Kraut flank and burned down the two houses that were giving me fits (2 LMGs and a few VS squads). A smashing victory would prolly have been the result, oh well.

In the last turns, I brought the Badger through the enemy rear, where it dodged a few 'Shreck shots (eventually torching the crew to death). The Badger eventually blasted some flames and routed the troops that were in the open behind the VL. I sucessfully risked the Sherman in the offroad snow, and it helped to "contest" the VL. Unfortunately, I lost my 3" FO to some random small arms fire (ouch, 30+ pts).

Final: no one controlled the flag...

Silvio Manuel/ elite Canucks: 38

DStone/sick old men w/ canes: 38

But it was so much fun, dammit!

It was a macabre scene at the end...5 or 6 bldgs burning, and just about every last German squad routed, and plenty of Canucks bleeding on the snow.

P.S. If I had known it was a Meeting Engagement, I probably would have approached the town sooner, instead of swinging the 1st Pn wide through the western edge of town thru the woods.

As it was, I didn't want to risk the sole Pn until I had my reinforcements, so that I would achieve mass and thus limit casualties.

[ March 26, 2002, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]