LOS to roadblock/barbed wire = Contact?

Originally posted by Jussi Köhler:

I hope this is on the list of changes for the patch. Quite irritating, and totally negates the usefullness of the command in many battles, and especially operations...

On the other hand, the presence of fortifications and/or obstacles is usually a pretty good indicator that there are enemy troops about.

Having said that, I find that I don't use the Move to Contact -command very often nowadays. It's fine for the recon troops at the point, but otherwise just plain old Move seems a better choice.

Zak

Originally posted by Zakalwe:

...I find that I don't use the Move to Contact -command very often nowadays. It's fine for the recon troops at the point, but otherwise just plain old Move seems a better choice.

Exactly. IMO using MTC in the open or anywhere else your troops have long lines of sight will run the risk of them stopping somewhere you didn't intend, and could well be suicide. People need to acquire a little self-discipline in its use.

Michael

I have said it before and I will say it again. Troops stopping in the open 300m away from the enemy is not all that dangerous. Even 200m. 100m is a different story, but you should avoid getting that close without finding out they are there.

The real killer is troops caught moving in the open. Best thing you can do in most cases is stop and return fire, which is what move to contact lets you do.

WWB

In a test I ran this morning a T34 using MTC ignored a German trench, roadblock and barbwire. The same with a Russian rifle platoon.

I'm not sure if this is working as intended, or not. On the one hand I wouldn't want my troops stopping at the sight of a roadblock 500 meters away, but I also wouldn't want them to continue walking forward if they see a line of trenches in the scattered trees 100 meters ahead.

I agree that there are situations where "move to contact" can be useful to cross open terrain.

As WWB pointed out it´s not only useful when moving in cover. It can be a good command if you use it at a stage before enemy whereabouts are known and the forces which "move to contact" are still keeping a safe distance from likely enemy positions. Having them stop to give you a chance to change your orders and path of advance earlier according to the additional intelligence is a very useful option imho.

"Move to contact" is certainly not meant to be used to cross open terrain when leaping from cover to cover with likely enemies within distances below 100m.

Nevertheless, although barbed wire and roadblocks are certainly related to "real" contacts in the same area, they should not have the same effect on moving troops as living and shooting enemy troops must have.

It´s not a major bug and is probably a limitation in the implementation of the command in the sense that CMBB does not distinguish between different categories of contacts.

In open terrain and especially steppe settings it can be a bit annoying though. If a roadblock sighting in the far distance can eliminate the "move to contact" command from the available orders. Personally I´d like to see this changed but there are certainly many other issues with higher priority.

Cheers

Nolloff

[ November 07, 2002, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]