Computer Upgrade - advice needed!

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my PC and I need to know do I need a P4/P3 to run Combat mission adequately. The PC will have at least 128MB RAM and will be at least a 700MHz machine with a 16 Mb Video card, maybe/maybe not 3D. Can I get away with a Celeron at these specs for CM?

Thanks,

Dominic.

As noted above, you should be fine with that setup. You did not mention what size monitor you have or will have. If you play CM at monster resolutions, a 16 mb card will not be enough. Also, be aware that if you like to use a lot of hi-res mods, you might run into probs with a 16mb card too.

You can get a 32mb TNT2 at flea bay for $60 to $70 shipped (Don't get a TNT2 M64) or GeForce2 MX for $100 to $120 at some online vendors.

Voodoo cards are a good choice, but beware that 3dfx has gone under so support for the product is gone too - including new drivers.

The 32mb Voodoo 5 5500 is a great card for CM and goes for around $125 at some online vendors.

Don't get a card just because it has 32mb of memory. Cards with the S3 Savage4 chipset have 32mb and they are pretty bad cards.

I suggest you get Geforce card with 32MBs of RAM. I have Voodoo3 with 16MB and it works fine, but I had some trouble with drivers and weird textures after a few turns in big battles. That was also because of too small amount of video ram. I suggest you Geforce (fast and cheap) and it will be good enough for CM2, which will supposedly have hi-res textures(no good for 16mb).

I also recommend AMD instead of Intel. I have Celeron, but would immediately trade it for AMD if motherboard would permit me. frown.gif AMD is faster and cheaper (check some tests)

Hope that helps.

Porajkl