Help ! Problems with my new Geforce2 MX

Yesterday I finally upgraded my system. I bought a Geforce2 MX Video card ( Leadtek WinFast ) , installed it in my system ( Pentium II , 350 MHz , 64MB RAM ) and put my old 3dfx VooDoo1 and ATI Rage PRO XPERT 98 AGP on the shelf .

I expected improvements in Graphic and speed . Well , graphically speaking this a true improvement -smog is appearing ( very cool!) , smoke is looking as real and not as dancing blocky white pixels , terrain is looking great and not as big squares of pixels glued together and a lot of other graphic improvements... A real therapy for my eyes !

The problem is in lost of.... speed ( !!!!! ) . The worst scenario I could imagine was that there will be good graphic improvements, and only a small gain of speed . But lost of speed ???.I've lost the ability to move smoothly around the map , in fact my movements around the map are looking a bit like a slide show . ( it was speedy an smooth before installing the new card ) It seems that the " loading 3-D Graphic" and " Computer player thinking " phases are longer now than before .Unit too are moving less smoothly .One more thing that never happened before is , the screen freezing ,in particular in the beginning of a game ( I saw the 60 seconds clock stopping at 7 seconds and suddenly jumping to 13 seconds , together with the units on the screen of course )

I played the Unreal Tournament Demo and there too it runs very much less smoothly than with my previous old cards ! Now , even opening or closing applications , files or folders is strangely slow !Deleting the Unreal Demos with Recycle Bin took me 5 minutes!!

I work ( play ! ) with WinME and DirectX 8 is installed .Before installing the new card I made sure that all traces of 3dfx , Voodoo , Glide were erased including manually cleaning the registry from 3dfx , Glide and VooDoo entries , opening regidit and going trough an easy but long and boring process ( Delete, yes, F3 .....) as described in 3dfx to Geforce upgrade guide

After a few games I downloaded and installed Detonator3 from NVidia but saw no improvement at all !

I'm sure that the Geforce MX is a very good card so what is the problem ?

The only thing that came to my mind is maybe upgrading from 64MB memory up to 128MB .But , being short in money after buying the Geforce , I will not do that without really being sure that it's a good solution .

As anyone any idea how to solve the problem ?

Thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 01-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 01-04-2001).]

Hi Crockett,

I noticed you only said you deleted the 3Dfx/Glide entries in your system. I suggest also deleting the ATI Rage entries.

This is how I would go about it:

1) Reboot Windows into Safe mode. To do this, restart your computer and hit F5 right after the BIOS finishes initializing everything. You may have to hit F5 repeatedly. Alternatively, you can press F8 at this time to get a menu of possible boot options. Choose Windows Safe Mode.

2) Go into the control panel, Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall the NVidia drivers and any other 3dfx/ATI software related to your old cards.

3) Enter your System Properties dialog. Go to the Device Manager tab and remove all video devices from your machine. Also check the other areas of the Device Manager, as there can be multiple entries for one card under different categories.

4) Run regedit.exe and remove any ATI entries you find. You already did this for the 3Dfx card, so you shouldn't need to do anything more there, but a quick search for "voodoo" and "3dfx" couldn't hurt too much.

5) Go into Multimedia Settings in the Control Panel. The last tab on the right usually lists a bunch of installed drivers and/or codecs for your sound card and video devices. Try deleting/removing anything specifically related to your 3dfx/ati cards.

5) Reboot into normal mode, let Windows detect your card, and install the latest reference drivers from NVidia. (www.3dchipset.com is a good place to go too if you want to try the latest beta drivers)

I sure hope that works.

Good luck.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

Hey, BeWary

Thanks for you answer .Every trace of ATI or RAGE is no more in my system and the problem is still there .I launched WILTZ Scenario and gave only one order to a Sherman :to move 200 meters and I clicked the GO button.The clock stood on "00" and then jumped to 16 second !Suddenly my Sherman was 180 meters ahead !It seems to happen only in the first move of the game ( as far ).After that units are still moving like a slides show ( a lot less smoothly than with my previous card )

I'm trying to find some other solutions

Anyway thanks for helping

Crockett

Crockett,

I'm sorry that didn't work for you. I haven't experienced this problem myself, but have you checked to make sure your motherboard is supplying enough juice to the AGP port for your new video card? I've heard of this being a problem for some people, but I don't know the specifics of the issue. You may want to go to the website of your motherboard manufacturer and look at the FAQ for your board.

You may have to break down, delete Windows from your machine, and reinstall it. If after that you're still getting serious slowdown, it is definitely some sort of hardware mismatch. I'm running CM on a P2-400 with an original TNT card, and I've not seen anything like what you're describing.

If you need help or details for removing Windows and reinstalling, let me know. I'm at bewary@mindspring.com.

Oh yeah, you shouldn't need more memory. It would be nice, yeah, but 64 is enough, and not a reason that would cause the system-wide slowdown you're seeing.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.