Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Info on the Challenger

I was looking for some info on HE availability and manufacturing dates for 6-pdr tank gun HE, when I came across this site, which may well solve the riddle of who the hell had Challengers, and how many, at least for 1945. Someone has been to the PRO, it seems, and started digging. An admirable trait.

Interesting...from this research it looks like this is certainly one of those vehicles that could have been left out of CMBO on grounds of a miniscule wartime deployment.

"no more that[n] about 47 examples were ever used by front line units at any one time"

...and 47 is the '45 April 7th high point.

Makes me wonder about the propensity to include extremely rare stuff in CMBB (sturmtiger?) at the expense of more common units that perhaps get left out. However, Sounds like CMBB will be everything including the kitchen sink (mk XVIII, torsion bar suspension), so I'm not really concerned.

Ren

I beg to differ Renaud.

The Challenger was in use for 5 months with front line units, a total of 200 were built, and it fulfills a necessary tactical role as pointed out in hte article - a 17 pdr tank that can keep up with Cromwells.

as such I think it is a reasonable inclusion.