First time poster and some questions,

First off Id like to say hi to everyone since this is my first post.

I owned the original CMBO and liked it so much I bought the latest one (they got it too me in 1 day of shipping as well, I ordered friday and got it this morning). Ive played dozens of wargames over the past 4-5 years (I know not a very long carrer but im only 18) and besides Uncommon valor and SPWaW the combat mission series is all that I play.

First off Id like to congradulate BTS on a very worthy effort. They improved on CMBO in every area. I wont go into specifics as to keep this post short.

About the only problem I can find (and its very minor) carries over from the original CM. I wish I could select ground conditions and reinforcements and the option to dig in tanks in QB's.....Like I said very minor.........maybe in a patch.

Secondly I wish the Game would save every "movie" from all of the turns in a battle. That way you could watch an uninterupted movie from the battle you just played. Words cant begin to describe how cool that would be.

Now my questions.

I have a "ninja" system but the game still chugs along.....very odd....I can run UT 2003 just fine at 1024X8768 and know this cant possibly push more polys than that game...myabe one of you has a suggestion.

Finally id like to grab some of these great looking mods.

Is a mod just a replacement of a ingame texture?

Is all I need to do after I download one is replace the .bmp file? (Im sure ill need to backup the ones already there).

Already there appears to be dozens of mods....anyone know a good place for a new guy to start?

Does one single website have vast number of the avalible mods?

didnt mean to post this much....

but thanks for your time if you read all this.

Hope to get to know all of you better.

Ive had good experiences with wargaming forums and this one seems to be no different.

Thanks in advance for any answers to my q's.

Originally posted by Chrono:

First off Id like to say hi to everyone since this is my first post.

Hi

I owned the original CMBO

Past tense?

Is a mod just a replacement of a ingame texture?

Is all I need to do after I download one is replace the .bmp file? (Im sure ill need to backup the ones already there).

yes - they are already backed up, really, on the game CD but now you have to unpack them before reusing them. But you are correct in all this.

Hope to get to know all of you better.

Ive had good experiences with wargaming forums and this one seems to be no different.

We like to think we're friendly, and more knowledgeable than your "average" wargaming board, but that might also cause we're "older"...?

Welcome aboard.

Now my questions.

I have a "ninja" system but the game still chugs along.....very odd....I can run UT 2003 just fine at 1024X8768 and know this cant possibly push more polys than that game...myabe one of you has a suggestion.

CM pushes way more polys than any game i know of. Apparently the biggest killer is the terrain tiles. If you really want a huge game try playing "To the Volga". It will take at least 15 minutes to render a single turn.

Past tense?
Gave it to a friend and now hes hooked on wargames....It like crack cocaine.

We like to think we're friendly, and more knowledgeable than your "average" wargaming board, but that might also cause we're "older"...?

Welcome aboard.

I post quite often on the MatrixGames forums and their probaly the oldest "gaming" crowd ive encountered. Their may be a few members lurking around this board that I know from there.

Chrono,

Welcome to the forums. :D

1. I belive you can select ground conditions in QBs, but am not sure on this one.

2. I can run Medal of Honor at high resolutions and full graphics with zero slowdown, but with CM, I get a little chugging as well. I think the game engine's limitations are starting to really show.

3. Think of mods as a set of paintings for your CM battlefield. Each set of bmps is a new paint job for your CM units. If you drop one set of them into the bmp folder, they REPLACE the existing ones. So make sure to back up the original bmps first, just in case you don't like the mod once it is showing it's colors in the game.

[ October 07, 2002, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

CM pushes way more polys than any game i know of. Apparently the biggest killer is the terrain tiles. If you really want a huge game try playing "To the Volga". It will take at least 15 minutes to render a single turn.

Really?

Polys?

I wouldnt think so.

It appears to be thousands of bitmaps on just a handful of polys (im by no means a game developer it could just be the unorthadox game design that I dont see the polys).

The AI crunching would eat up processing power so I can see turns taking forever.

Btw if anyone is interested im running an Alienware Laptop

P4 2.2

512mb ddr ram

Mobile Radeon 7500 64mb ddr video card

40 gb 5400 rpm harddrive (harddrive is very slow wish they would of given me a 7200 rpm)

SB extigy soundcard

And ohh btw.

As long as im thinking of it....

If I download say a tanks winter texture will it use this texture only in winter settings or in all weather conditions?

Only in winter smile.gif Winter textures have an "offset", in CMBO it was placing a 1 in front of the texture name/number (e.g. 300 -> 1300).

As for the poly count, it actually does push quite a bit. I won't claim that it pushes more than UT2003 or that the engine isn't showing its age, but it definitely spits out a lot of polygons.

I wish I could remember the thread and give you a link, but CMBO (not BB) pushes more polys than Quake2. CMBB, with essentially the same engine, has more than CMBO to render (poly counts on the models were increased).

I wish I could remember the thread and give you a link, but CMBO (not BB) pushes more polys than Quake2.
Not saying a whole lot :D

A lot has to do with coding as well.

I mean no disrespect to BTS but a game like UT 2003 being from a big time developer is probaly coded a lot tighter.

Wargames as a whole have budgets and production values alot lower than your average top seller.

Max Payne would have to be the best coded game ive seen. Incredible graphics and runs great on systems below min specs.

Welcome Chrono,

I too have a fast machine(2.4Ghz)and the bigger maps can really "chug" smile.gif Keep in mind that the size of the 3d environments are considerably larger than the size of even the largest UT map, especially when you consider how much of the map you see at any one time.

Well, my machine runs the UT2003 demo, GTA3, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein at max detail flawlessly, whereas the Stalingrad scenario bogs my system (P-IV 1.8 GHz, 512 MB DDR RAM, GF4 Ti4600) down.

However, it has been stated elsewhere that the CM engine was designed so that it would show good performance on older PCs as well, as strategy gamers often don't fight the upgrade war as 3D game enthusiasts do.