could someone help me with my monitor?

Hello, people!

I have got some wired problems with my monitor and would appreciate if someone could help me out here. The thing is that whenever there is something red on the screen it appears like it was "smeared" out like lipstick or something, it kind of looks like if I have used the "smudgetool" from photoshop on, for example, my desktop icons. I have tried the monitor on three different computer setups(all three of them with different kinds of graphicscards)so it seems like its something wrong with the monitor and not the software? I have tried using the Adobe Gamma thingy from the controlpanel to calibrate the monitor but nothing seems to work it out. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Is it maybe time to put the poor thing to sleep or is it something i can work out? (god, i cant afford another monitor!). If you got ANY ideas about a possible solution, please tell me and I would be forever grateful!

Hmm...forgot to mention that it sometimes showes white areas as pink too...and the screen is always exceptionally dark.

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: KnockOnWood ]

You definitely have something wrong with the electronics of your monitor. There is probably nothing you can do with your software to change this. The red gun is getting overcharged. This will cause the white to turn pinkish. The "exceptional" darkness of the monitor can be caused by several possibilities - some can be adjusted or repaired while others would not be worth repairing (bad tube).

You may want to look through your monitor's documentation. Some monitors have the capability of adjust the RGB values from the monitor's controls. It's possible that your Red value is too high in comparison to Blue and Green.

I don't know if you would want to open your monitor and adjust the red driver voltage (there are some very high voltages inside a monitor which could kill you if you don't know what you're doing). Getting the balance right would probably be too hard to do without some calibration software or hardware. Depending on the size and cost of your monitor it may or may not be worth repairing (a common cost would be about US$100 for some flat rate repairs). If you're monitor is under warranty, then it would definitely be a good idea to send it in for repair (if you can afford to be without it for several weeks).

Thanks for your quick answer, Schrullenhaft, even if it wasnt any good news smile.gif. Just one other thing i wanted to ask. Do you think this could have something to do with the cable between the monitor and the computer? Reason I ask is that I dont think its the original one and this one seems a little unlike the one I have on my other computer. Maybe I should add that I never seen this monitor work properly, I bought it at a garagesale(didnt cost me more than a pack of cigarettes so its not the end of the world if I dont get it up and running). At least my girlfriend can use it to play The Sims so that I can use The Good Computer to play my "important" games :D .

Cables can cause some color problems. Usually it's because one of the color lines has become pinched/broken. This will often result in a color dropping out and the screen turning yellow, purple, etc. (one missing color). There could be other quality issues with the cable, but from what you describe the red video driver circuit or tube is most likely to blame for your problem.

Ok, thanks for your help, Schrullenhaft and Dunnee. Yes, I knew it had some issues before i bought it, but it was dirt cheap so it felt like I had nothing to loose. Like I said earlier its at least better than nothing as long as I dont try to do anything complicated with it. smile.gif