Learning curve....

Guest Panzer Boxb

For a CMBO vet? I'd say just right. For a total neophyte? A bit steep. Really, it's one of those games that is easy to learn, but very difficult to master. I'm still trying to unlearn how I did things in CMBO so I don't get totally smashed in CMBB.

Originally posted by Axe2121:

...too shallow, too steep or just right?

Overall, I'd say just right. This thing already has me looking at tactics in a different light than CMBO.

I'd say the learning curve was very steep indeed (meaning you learn fast). Both CM:BO and CM:BB are models of what good interface design should be. The greater number of command options will make CM:BB a little bit more work to come to terms with for the complete tyro, if only because some little explanation of things like the difference between "advance", "move" and "assault" will be needed. I think one of the many aspects of CM's excellence is the very useable, quickly-learnt interface, which could serve as a model of good UI design. This hardly ever gets mentioned, of course; but you'd expect that. Good interfaces don;t get in the way, so people don't notice good interfaces.

All the best,

John.

IMHO, figuring out when to button/unbutton will be the absolute key to getting any use out of your T-34s lacking a radio and three-man turret.

Was the T-34/85 the first of the series in which every tank had both of these really essential features?

You re-learn your history in this game. :D The "best" of the early war Allied tanks usually had the tank commander saddled with in-turret duties and may have lacked wireless... and this is what caused them to fall prey to those "crappy" ;) underarmored and undergunned Mark IIs and IIIs. The German TC had his head out the cupola, good binocks, a throat mike, contact with his wingmen, battle drill and his training to fall back on. If it was a fluid fight, the Germans handed your asses to you during this period (think BALCK *lol*).

Recalling what I read of the first chapter from Red Army Tank Commanders by Armstrong, the early model T-34s strongsuit was as an ambush weapon. The smart fellas bushwacked the Germans coming up a road and displaced to the rear and repeated rather than trying "book" counterattacks into the flanks probably just because of these short comings.

So... just how do you go about using the early T-34 as fire support on the offsenive? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Well, the learning curve will be appropriate for a person familiar with real tactics. Such people had a lot to change for CMBO, which was probably no good thing.

I only wish that BFC had coded seperate SOP, fire control and movement speed settings, instead of melting them all into a pretty ranom bunch of combined commands.