Montelimer: TF Butler - which side to play?

Anyone familiar with WBWs add-on operation "Montelimar: TF Butler", can you confirm that the AXIS is the recommended side to play?

I am confused because at the Combat Missions site, it lists the Operation type as Axis Attack and recommends Axis as the side of choice for single player, yet the entire briefing and title are from the Allied point of view.

I like to play an operation once only, so that the factor of surprise is present, so any confirmations to start with Axis as a single player vs AI?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by istari:

Anyone familiar with WBWs add-on operation "Montelimar: TF Butler", can you confirm that the AXIS is the recommended side to play?

I am confused because at the Combat Missions site, it lists the Operation type as Axis Attack and recommends Axis as the side of choice for single player, yet the entire briefing and title are from the Allied point of view.

I like to play an operation once only, so that the factor of surprise is present, so any confirmations to start with Axis as a single player vs AI?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have looked through the notes that Wild Bill sent with this Op. I'm not entirely sure which side he recommends to play first. From all the briefing that go with the Op i would hazard a guess that it should indeed be played 1st as the ALLIES. I may have made a typo with this one, or WBW may have suggested that the Axis should be played 1st in his original e-mail to me when he first submitted the Op to the site.

p.s - to be on the safe side i would leave this Op for the time being until we find out what's what.

Maybe if WBW stumbles upon this post he can clear this confusion up. I'll send him an e-mail about it too.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

I have just had word from "Wild" Bill -

"My personal preference has always been the Americans, in a defensive-offensive posture. I never really played it from the German side

all the way though. Some of the testers did and liked it that way even more. It works pretty good as a two player operation too".

"That would be a hard call for me. I tried to balance so that either side could win. The US could have a slight edge in this one, but not much. I wish I could say with certainty one side is preferred over another but that would be hard to do for me".

So, EITHER! smile.gif

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Guest WildBill

My apologies to you all for my tardiness in responding. Some things have come up in the last week that have kept me from the site.

Manx, thanks for posting the reply. I appreciate it. As stated, I played it through three times as the GIs. I played around with it as the Germans.

It was also tested from Axis side with much delight by some, and even a couple of two player games found boths sides liking what they have chosen to play.

So your call. Hopefully and according to testing reports, it can be challenging from either side.

Wild Bill