Help on getting the AI to attack

I need some tips on how to make the AI attack better. Basically, I have a German armor force that I want to follow a road to attack a US held crossroads. I want them to keep on driving past the crossroads to exit for points at a big VF.

I've used McAuliffe's tip on placing small VF's along the road, but the German tanks get hung up blasting away at small defeated US unit remnants instead of moving on to the exit point.

How do I get the AI to recognize more important scenario goals and move on. Any ideas? Does raising the level of the troops to veteran or higher make them attack and follow roads better?

Also, the AI has a bunch of German AFV's that start neatly lined up on the road soon banging into each other like a bunch of horny insects trying to mate or play bumper cars. Would adding more space between units on the road help to keep them going straight?

I'm nearly finished making a cool scenario, but my current battle plan won't work right unless I can get the AI to attack and follow the roads better.

Thanks for any help.

Jake