Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

I'm getting TERRIBLE gameplay and graphics on my new system...

mikieb

Well...i just downloaded the AK Demo and BB Demo. I have done all that was recommended in the troubleshooting guide and i still get that wierd:

Unhandled Exception: c0000005 at address: 0053d978 & 005419e5

Is there anything i am overlooking?

I also re-installed BO, and i can play that fine. My only problem witht hat is the LOUSY graphics i now have. What gives? I used to play the full version on an old P2 with a Voodoo card, and now i am running a Celeron 1.3GHz with 624 RAM and a GeForce4 MX. All the textures are grainy and pixelized. When my view is close to the grass, it only looks like green squares. Game is slow. Low FPS. My system should be able to handle this game a lot better than my old one, no?

I never had issues on my outdated system, even on large maps.

Any idea on how to fix these problems? I was really interested in purchasing the full versions, but if the gameplay and issues are going to be this bad...

I have re-installed all my drivers for my card, including re-installing windows all together. I have updated all drivers for everything on my system.

Any adivse?

Those are typically errors with DirectX. A reinstall of DirectX may be in order (this download is only the 'downloading app' and not the complete installer). Another, and quite possibly more likely cause, is that there is something wrong with your video driver.

I'd guess that your CMBO install is actually playing at 640x480 in software mode, which usually downsamples quite a bit. This is probably the only mode available to you since a 3D-capable card doesn't seem to be identified by CM.

Go to the Start Menu > Run command and type in 'dxdiag' (without the quotes) > go to the Display tab and run the Direct3D test and make note of what settings are enabled or disabled and enable any that are disabled (by pressing the 'Enable button' next to each item).

Which NVidia driver do you have installed ? You may need to uninstall it (from the 'Add/Remove Programs' control panel and possibly using a 'Detonator Remover' program), reboot and install only a SVGA or VGASave generic driver, reboot and shutdown any programs when you log back in(including antivirus) and install another driver such as 30.82/30.87 (if your GeForce 4 MX is not an AGP 8X version otherwise use 53.03). Hopefully this will get your 3D capability going again for DirectX. I suggest running the 'dxdiag' test again to see if it passes.

hi,

Okay...we might be getting a bit closer to the problem...

When i test Direct 3D, it fails the first test, and i get the following message:

"Test Failed at Step 8 (creating 3d Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (out of memory)"

Any ideas what this is about?

Thanks!

Mike

I can only guess that there is something definitely wrong with your driver setup. If you can't pass the 3D tests that the DirectX Diagnostic provides, then you'll be unable to run a 3D game.

A somewhat associated error is listed on this Microsoft Support article. And some suggestions for black screens in games (usually Microsoft titles).

You may want to also download and install any chipset drivers for your motherboard. Even if it is an Intel chipset, this would probably be a good idea. There's also a very slight possibility that your motherboard has a compatibility issue with GeForce cards. A BIOS update may be necessary, if offered; otherwise you may have to change some settings within the CMOS/BIOS setup - or some driver options (via a 'tweaking' program) or try a completely different videocard.

well...i think we're getting closer...

I compressed some files, defragmented, re-instlled my PREVIOUS Nvidia Drivers...

Now CMBO doesn't go in "software mode"...it just crashes like the rest of the demos did, giving me the failure message as stated in my first post.

Hmm...i've re-insalled direct x many times...still ahs the problem. Is there anyway to COMPLETELY uninstalled direct x and start over?

Did you uninstall your previous driver or just install over it ? It's recommended to completely remove a previous driver before applying a new one, especially in cases where there seems to be a problem with the driver. In fact, I usually suggest installing the 'default' driver your particular Windows version supports, which could either be a 'SVGA' or 'VGASave' or even a default GeForce driver if your videocard is old enough and you're running Windows XP. After rebooting with this configuration, then install whichever driver version you want. Hopefully there'll be nothing from a previous installation interfering or corrupting the new install.

DirectX cannot be uninstalled completely. It is considered an 'OS Component' and the system can't be missing those files. Windows XP & ME could possibly have a 'save point' where you could roll back your system to a previous state, but it wouldn't uninstall DirectX (at most it would be capable of 'uninstalling' a DirectX upgrade).

If you really want to start over with DirectX, then the harsh way, and just about only effective way, would be to reformat your hard drive and install Windows from scratch.