Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Unhandled exception on startup (demo)

Hi all,

I have been perusing all the various nvidia problems etc, but I havn't been able to find an answer to my problems.

Upon first starting the CMBB (demo), at the checking the screen resolution stage, I get a black screen, "ping", and by alt-tab can find a popup window with "unhandled exception c0000005 at address 004443b6". I close the window and the aplication also closes (after a second or two).

I have CCBO working fine on the same machine.

I'ts an athlon 900mhz, w2k,geforce2-gts with 1.5 gb memory, 4gb swap (I do some fairly large picture editing) etc.

I have reinstalled the nvidia 30.82 drivers (including installing the the standard vga drivers, deleting everying I could find starting with NV), reinstalled directX 8.1b, 4in1 drivers and the program itself.

dxdiag of course reports no problems, and I have no known viruses.

Anyone have any ideas or seen the same error location. I am concerned that when I get the full game, it won't work.

regards

Duncan (who is hoping a complete reinstall will not be required) :confused:

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem almost.

The game starts fine but when i click on a unit it gets the exeption.

My specs are: p4 2.4, 512Mb ram, win 2000, newest detonator coupled to a ti4600 and i have more than enough HD space.

Would apreciate if anyone knows what is the problem.

So you never see any text on the screen listing the current resolution, just a black screen ? How soon after launching CMBB does the 'ding' error sound occur ?

Are you absolutely sure that your Northbridge chipset is a VIA and not some other brand ? Are you using any 'tweaker' applications for your video drivers - if so these may 'interfere'. Turn 'off' FSAA ('manually' disable).

This thread details some issues with the 'WM Timer' patch for Win2K/XP and the possible need to uninstall it.