CM still offers a few surprises.

I am playing a battle with friend. I had 4 Companies of Rifle infantry (subject to exagguration to put the wind up him) in a small patch of woods, 50m or so away across open terrain he has 2 MG42's in a building trying to kill my guys.

I bring up a Sherman tell it to aim at the building (to blow it up), it fires a couple of 75mm HE rounds into the house, then the AI takes over. The Sherman then aims at the open ground 10m infront of the house, between my guys and his MG42's.

lays a few smoke rounds to block the MG42's shooting my men and then takes aim at the building again to continue to pound it with HE till it blows.

Couple of points - AI knew to place smoke round in the best place and also to carry on with the blow building order instead of retargeting directly onto the MG themselves , which it could see.

The level of the AI in this game still surprises me after a year of playing.

Note I wanted the Sherman to target the building so as not to loose lockon (if/when mg's tried to hide), both Mg's died after building blew.

[ March 05, 2002, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Pud ]

Hey buddy .... I still am not able to get CM to work as yet so hang in there for pbem games .... fortunately I am sure that it is my puter and not the game ....

As for the smoke .... I have seen intelligent use of smoke before .... and actually encouraged me to use it more than I have in the past .... but as for re-targeting the original target .... THAT was special .... MY sherman usually blasts the foxhole with an enemy flag in it either 600m away or 5m in front of my guys (and thus blowing up my own inf) ....

someone must have stuck some green troops in the latest recruitment lists ....