Preset forces for CM2 please

Lah

I would like to see an option for preset forces in CM2.

Instead of having the random force choice as we have it now I would like to have the game pick at random from a number of preset forces. This way we can eliminate the whacky combinations that we end up with now and instead find ourselves with platoons of one type of tank etc which would be more realistic.

Maybe this could be implimented in a future update?

I always thought a feature like this would be neat, especially if it were implemented as preset force selections that could be used in the scenario editor. Even better if both sides could use a different set.

Creating a more realistic QB would then go like this.

1) Start Scenario editor

2) Load a premade map (or generate a random one)

3) Load a set of Allied forces

4) Load a set of Axis forces

5) start game.

It would be even cooler if those grogs more knowledegeable than me created the random sets of historical forces, e.g. you could download a collection of 1000 pt infantry forces, another set would be 1500 pt combined arms forces, etc. If you randomized the file names you wouldn't even know the exact set of forces you'd be playing against, only the point total and type.

Now that you can purchase vehicles by the bundle (in platoons) you will see this happening much more in CMBB. You will often get full platoons of like vehicles since they are cheaper when bought in bulk then if bought seperately.

Down the road, once we re-write the full code, we would like to expand upon this idea a great deal more.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Down the road, once we re-write the full code, we would like to expand upon this idea a great deal more.

What do you think about using this idea in scenarios so that some of the forces were predefined and players could buy the rest? Then in some scenario one side might have 2000 points predefined, 1000 bought. THe other side might have 1000 predefined and could buy stuff worth 2000 points.

One problem with CM1 is that it might pick say 10 Kangeroo's and a couple Sherman's that have to face numerous SPG's. I hope CM2 can do something better for play balance.

I would love to use random forces for ladder games but unless it's right I don't see this option being used at all by people.

Yet another idea for CM2:

Would it be possible to make a list of units that are available when purchasing units?

This restriction list could be saved to a file and later used for making restricted games that are not possible at the moment. That way you could enforce popular rules like Short-75 or Panther-76 - also when computer buys. This could be used for creating battles between rare units that are not normally bought. Many people have their favourite units that are bought again and again, but what would you buy if all your top-3 tanks are excluded?

Somewhat related, it might be nice to see more information when looking over available units. One bit is that there's a lot of detail that's not there; for instance, armor penetration numbers, thickness and slope of armor facing in different directions (CMBO provides a range that covers... the entire vehicle? Or is that just frontal?)... basically, the 'Hit Enter' information, minus ammunition and so forth.

The other branch that's not there at all (not during the battle, even) is a historical usage. It might be useful for the relatively non-groggy to learn what, say, a unit's main role was, how rare it was, whether or not it performed well, and so forth. I guess we'll get some rarity information, implicitly w/ the price adjustments, but *shrug* it might be interesting to know loosely how many were deployed or side info like that. But that's all flavor text.