Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Exception Error

Hey all, just wondering if anybody can help me, I have not played CMBO for quite a while now (DAMN that real life job and kids heh)

Ive cranked it up and i constantly get the Exception error. I am running Nvidia 45.23 drivers, and dx9b, which i tried reinstalling both and downgrading the nvidia drivers as stated in the faq, but it still doesnt work. The only difference is i got a new geforce2 graphics card. i really want to get it to work again so i can play, can anybody help??

Cheers

Adept

What kind of 'exception error' are you getting ? Do you get a 'blue screen' when you launch CMBO, when you're playing in it or when ? Which Windows version are you running ?

I wouldn't recommend the 45.xx series of drivers if CM is your main addiction. If you're running other games, then these drivers might be better than what I'd recommend for CM - the 30.82 (this listing is for Win2K or XP) or 30.87 drivers. FSAA and all other options work fine. The newer drivers will probably provide few, if any, benefits to a GeForce 2 card. Most of the code optimizations are geared towards the GeForce FX and 4 families, with a few for the 3 family.

What happens, when i click on CMBO to run it it goes fullscreen with just black , then windows "bings" and i have a dialog box which says

Unhandled Exception: C0000005

at address: 0055f93a

and thats it. I dont even get into the game. heres what i have tried..

Reinstalling XP!! (Not doing THAT again! heh)

using the 30.82 and 30.87 drivers didnt work, reinstall directx 9b, and even tried dx8. It still didnt work. It used to work on this exact same machine but the only diff was i had a tnt card, (which i no longer have and dont want to have to buy again)

Ive even clicked my heels 3 times and wished there was no place like home.

It just seems bizarre that every single thing works perfectly fine except for CMission no matter what i do?? surely theres a way they can make the "error" more usefull like a .log or something. what dos CM do that every other game in existance doesnt??

Newho hopefully somebody can help me as im at wits end, i dont particulary want to go and by CMBB like i was planning to until i can even get CMBO working again!

Cheers

Adept

With CM that memory address is usually related to DirectX. Do you play any other DirectX 3D games or are they OpenGL ? Which other programs 'work perfectly fine' (and Windows XP itself really isn't a good example) ?

How long does your display remain black before the error dialog box comes up ? Is it fairly immediate or does it take awhile to come up ? Do you have a 'Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs' file in the CMBO directory ? If you do, then delete it and see if a new resolution can be selected. What resolution and refresh rate are you currently running at ?

Run DXDIAG (from the 'Run' command line) and check out the Display tab. The DirectX vesion info will be on the first tab near the bottom. There should be some buttons to test 'DirectDraw' and 'Direct3D'. See if these pass. Are all three options enabled ('disable' will be a button when they are) ? You may want to check The DirectX Files tab and make sure there aren't any problems (there usually isn't, but this portion of the utility won't detect all file problems with DirectX).

Did you uninstall any previous drivers before attempting to install newer or older ones ? You may want to try out Detonator R.I.P. or NVidia Nasty File Remover (Videocard Drivers > NVIDIA detonator drivers > near the top of the list).

As far as I'm aware, you can't really downgrade a DirectX install. Windows XP comes with DirectX 8.1, so the only real upgrade is DirectX 9.0b. I'm not sure how well re-installing DirectX 8.1 will work out in XP, but I guess it is possible if the installation actually completed.

During any of these installs (drivers, CM, etc.) you will want to disable anti-virus programs and almost anything else that is running in the background; just to make sure that nothing interferes with the installation.

Everything! too many to mention, Direct3d mainly but i have gl games as well which run without a problem.. even the sims works fine, which reading upon some people have a similar c0000005"exception error" but i dont have it in that, but i do in CMBO.

How long does your display remain black before the error dialog box comes up ? Is it fairly immediate or does it take awhile to come up ? Do you have a 'Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs' file in the CMBO directory ? If you do, then delete it and see if a new resolution can be selected. What resolution and refresh rate are you currently running at ?

Pretty much immediately it doesnt get far at all. I dont have a prefs file as i did delete that. Do you have a prefs file you could try posting? im willing to try anything.

Ive tried every refresh rate and resolution available on my pc.

1st thing i did was run dxdiag and all that, everything runs sweet as.

Before i do any driver changes, i always uninstalled previous., and it was dx8.1 i meant. after reinstalling xp i didnt do a dx upgrade, i tried runnign with that.

I will try the Nasty file remove as you suggested and see what that does.

Did you uninstall any previous drivers before attempting to install newer or older ones ? You may want to try out Detonator R.I.P. or NVidia Nasty File Remover (Videocard Drivers > NVIDIA detonator drivers > near the top of the list).

Nope you cant downgrade a dx install which does kinda sux with xp.

Ive tried everything! short of trying to find a tnt card like i used to have(which has no guarantee to work now) thats all i can think of dammit!

Nothing in the registry at all?

I even tried downloading the demo for cmbo again and installing that and still the same problem.

Is this worth forwarding to Bfront support, or will i just be fed the "try reinstalling dx" as if im a newbie which im not?

Cheers for your help and input so far

Adept

A Prefs file will only be generated upon a successful exit from the game - which occurs after you've selected a resolution and can see the game to exit normally (Alt-Q, 'Exit Game'). If you've deleted yours and you never have gotten to the point of seeing the main screen again, then CM doesn't have a chance to write out the file.

With a deleted Prefs file CM tries to go through the resolution selection process starting at your current desktop resolution, but possibly at a higher refresh rate (as defined by the video drivers and not the monitor profile). If you don't see anything scrambled on the screen or don't hear any 'clicking' from the monitor (as it attempts to change resolutions and/or sync) and the exception error occurs within several seconds of launching CM, then you have some sort of software/hardware problem (yes... this is obvious). If, on the other hand, it took quite awhile (maybe a minute or more) for the error to be generated, then it could be the standard error for attempting the last resolution (640x480 @ 60Hz) and nothing being selected. This results in the DirectX error, but I can't remember if this comes up as an exception error or not.

I suggest either reinstalling CM (if you have 1.12 on your CD) or patching it with the 1.12 patch (which should be quicker). The idea here is to refresh the file on the hard drive and make sure that there isn't any sort of file corruption on CM's part.

Next I suggest running the NFR or some other Detonator removal program. However don't reapply your next driver immediately after doing so. Instead reboot your computer afterwards and let XP detect your video card and install the drivers for it (which should be the 12.40's). Next install DirectX 9.0b (if you care to) and reboot after doing that. Then install any chipset drivers for your motherboard (if there are any that are applicable). After rebooting for that, then install the driver version that you want; again I suggest 30.82 or 30.87 (although some other games may prefer some newer or different drivers).

I suggest keeping FSAA off for now and don't apply any 'tweaker' programs. In fact, if you do have any of these installed, I suggest removing them before you install the 30.82's or whichever driver you attempt to install.

None of the CM titles puts anything into the registry, though there is an uninstaller for CMBO (since it used the Windows Installer). However beyond that there is nothing else that is entered.

I'll email the Prefs file to you (at the email address you have in your profile). However it may not work for you since I suspect it is set for a higher resolution than you may be using (1600x1200).