Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

unhandled exception

not sure what this is..but it occurs on the compile time before the video section of the game

unhandled exception at: c0000005 at address 004829be

I'm running windows xp direct x 8.1 nividia drivers 30.82 pent 4 2.0ghz 256rambus ram

this is the fourth time this has occured

[ September 23, 2002, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: muzzlehead ]

The address range suggests a DirectX error. Have you had only the 30.82 drivers installed on this XP installation or have you had previous drivers installed before ? If you upgraded your drivers, did you uninstall the previous drivers before installing the 30.82's ? Have you had any other video cards other than your current card installed in this computer with this installation of WinXP ?

I would suggest uninstalling your current video drivers (and any previous ones that may exist) and going with whatever XP detects on reboot. This will either be the 'VGASave' or 'GeForce' driver that comes with WinXP (which is based on 12.40 - a version that has problems with CM). Once this is done, then I'd suggest turning off any anti-virus programs and utilities, empty any temp folders and then install the 30.82s again.

After rebooting run the DirectX Diagnostic (C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DXDIAG) and check for any problems with the DirectX files and check the Display tab settings to make sure they're all enabled and then perform the Direct3D test and see if it passes.

If all of this is fine then delete your Prefs file and start CMBB. Hopefully this may get rid of the error.

[ September 24, 2002, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

• 2 weeks later...

Any resolution to this error?

I just got this error about midway thru the calculation phase of turn 12 of A battle of Minors.

I've done the directx reinstall, video driver uninstall and reinstall, different resolutions, different textures, different game settings, etc. All to no avail.

The only difference I can see is that the blue turn calculation progress bar halts at different spots, but the error is always the same:

Unhandled exception: c0000005

At address: 004829be

I'm using the Nvidia GeForce2 MX400 with 30.82 drivers with the FSAA turned off.

I have the save game file and Windows 2000 did generate an error log.

I wonder if the same error would happen on another PC? Perhaps I could calculate the turn, play the movie, then save the game and xfer it back to my original PC? Or would that be a waste of time?

Best.

Sitting Duck