Tiny bug found??

If I'm plotting waypoints for a unit, for example I'm moving a tank and I plot five waypoints for it. As I do this, the amount of seconds before the tank can move increases. If I delete the end waypoint, so I only have four waypoints, the amount of seconds decreases. If I remove one of the waypoints in the middle, the amount of seconds stays the same.

Should it do that? Seems wierd to me.

Originally posted by Soddball:

If I remove one of the waypoints in the middle, the amount of seconds stays the same.

Should it do that? Seems wierd to me.

That part sounds strange. I'll have to watch for that. The other stuff described in your post is the way it's supposed to be.

Michael

P.S. You misspelled 'weird'.

[ October 12, 2002, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Zat how ya spell weerd. I weren't never no good at spellin. Tha home folk say I'd a been in Congriss if'n I'd a knowd how ta spell.

Now, I been playing round with this here waypoint thingy and I have arrived at the conclusion that it is infact, weerd. Now what is the rational ahind this. You can plot a straight line clean across the map and the command delay seconds stays the same whether the plot is for ten meters or half a mile. But, if you plot a right angle anywhere's in the plan, then it adds to the delay.

So, back to the question. What is the delay based on? (a), it takes longer to splain waypoints changes to the dummy in charge, (B), it takes longer for the dummy to compute the move in their heads and then splain it to the men, ©, all the men in the unit gotta memorize the plan and the more complicated it is the longer it takes...

What the devil is the reason for each waypoint increasing the delay, which as I say, doesn't seem to be based on the length of the waypoint, just the number of waypoints. (Except that the other feller found you can delete them in the middle without changing things).

Yes, there's a delay when you plot more waypoints, the concept being that the orders are more complex. It is a compromise in order to help simulate early-war Soviets. There's a thread on this here:

More waypoints = more delay. Realistic?

What's happening on Sodball's end happens here too. I don't do a lot of deleting of waypoints in the middle (possibly because of this) anyway, so it really hasn't been an issue for me. I guess you could use it to add smaller amounts of delay and still end up with the shortest number of waypoints ;)

The extra command delay is discussed on p81 of the user manual. It says that more waypoints are more complicated orders that need to be communicated to the unit supposed to execute the order, so it takes longer to actually get moving. I remember reading this because it's definitely different than CMBO.

Mike Tastsides

Originally posted by Soddball:

Read my post again,please. It's nothing to do with the command delay. When I plot 5 waypoints, then delete waypoint 4, leaving 1,2,3 and 5 in place, the command delay remains the same as if there were 5 waypoints.

I mentioned this to Madmatt when the demo first came out, and he said he'd get The Brain on it pronto. Hopefully it's already done for the patch unless in the flushed excitement it got missed.