err.....double penetration

oldie but a goody:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/002266.html

Topic: Do vehicles constitute loss hindrance?

Knaust

posted 12-28-1999 11:33 AM

In Close Encounter 2 Shermans of mine were lined up with a StuG.

The backward Sherm engaged the StuG...the advanced Sherm didnt have LOS, but the red line of the

former one croseed the advanced Sherm.

Anyway my question is:

Given the right conditions, do vehicles constitute loss hindrance?

IP: Logged

Big Time Software

posted 12-28-1999 12:50 PM

No "live" unit will block LOS. This has been explained in detail a while back, but it basically comes down to

limited CPU cycles. LOS is a total pig However, a "dead" vehicle does have the ability to block LOS. The

difference is a "live" vehicle is a variable, a "dead" one is a constant (in terms of location, speed, direction,

etc.) The LOS calculations for the former are too intensive, the latter the same as terrain.

Steve

Gunnerdream

unregistered

posted 12-29-1999 01:08 PM

"Close Encounters"...hmmm...is that the scenario with the E.T.'s versus the A.I.?

:0

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...

TOBRUK

posted 12-29-1999 02:58 PM

Wow, Steve, that's a big revelation. You mean my tactic of bringing up a squad behind an advancing tank

doesn't really provide them any protection after all? Those poor guys. No wonder they're less than

friendly to me.

Tom

Lindan

posted 12-29-1999 07:31 PM

TOBRUK:

your tactic needs only a little changing - shoot your own tanks!! *lol*

would you like to pbem, any side any scenario?? mail me!

Captain Foobar

unregistered

posted 12-30-1999 01:15 AM

This is a new revelation to me.

So if you fire *through* one of your units to hit an enemy in LOS, what happens regarding friendly fire???

Moon

posted 12-30-1999 08:28 AM

As I understand it, when the firing weapon is an MG, chances are that you'll lose some of your own guys

(grazing fire). Other small arms would cause no harm, since a rifleman would simply hold fire for as long as

somebody is in his way. However, when it's night or foggy, chances are that your guys would mistake

anybody running into the line of fire for the enemy and possibly TARGET your own side - with usually ugly

results...

Big Time Software

posted 12-31-1999 01:43 AM

Yes, this has actually been brought up a number of times in the past (try a Search for more).

Unfortunately, LOS checks are already something like 25% of the total calculations being done for a turn.

The game would litterally grind to a halt (and I mean it in a BIG way) if we had to account for every

variable unit each time somebody went to fire, as the number of LOS checks would go up exponentially. It

would probably also double the RAM requirements, if not higher.

As Moon states, most of the time there is no problem with the reality CM has to deal with. The real

bugger is MG fire. We found that we could squeak that in with modest impact on game speed. The other

one is the somewhat rare case of shooting "through" a vehicle and hitting one behind it. In all the games I

have played I think I have seen such a situation once or MAYBE twice, so it really isn't a big deal. As for

troops hiding behind a tank? A team or beat up squad could get some protection from nearly direct head

on fire, but a full squad or angled fire would not do much in terms of protection.

Again, computers are FAR less powerful than people think they are. And Charles is the best programmer I

have ever worked with, by FAR, so I know there is nothing more that can be done here. Probably not for

another 2-3 years or so.

Steve

[ June 12, 2002, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]