Question from a Newbie

Guest Michael emrys

Move your infantry to within 40-50 meters of the tank. They may toss grenades all on their own, but in case they don't, you can target the tank in the normal manner. It helps *a lot* if you can sneak the infantry up through some kind of covering terrain and can distract the tank somehow. Also, it's important to suppress any enemy infantry in the vicinity that could nail your guys.

Nobody said it was easy. That's why they gave out medals. smile.gif

Michael

Getting infantry to throw grenades at tanks can be very bad for the health of the infantry, especially if the tanks are german. Many german tanks have a grenade launcher (Nahverteidigungswaffe=near defense weapon) that can toss nasty explosives out on the infantry, even when the tank is buttoned and the gun is pointed somewhere else. Tanks also have machine guns that can be painful for infantry to be on the receiving end of.

Your best bet is to use dedicated anti-tank stuff to get the tanks: bazookas, Panzerschrecks, panzerfausts (not very accurate), rifle grenades, AT guns, and other tanks. Satchel charges aren't bad, but you have to get awfully close to use them.

All of the squad held AT weapons (fausts, grenades, rifle grenades, gammon bombs, satchels) are strictly under the control of the tactical AI. If the infantry think they might work they'll use them. Schrecks and zooks you can target by hand, as well as tanks and AT guns.

I just learned how to do this last night by accident. I sent two squads of infantry against the same and zoomed in on the action. Very impressive. It changed how I fight now. The Germans seem better than some other squads at close combat.

------------------

-Work Hard

-Type Fast

-Save Often

I find that the Yanks are the best at close combat. This mostly has to do with the fact that an American squad is 12 men. The German squad is usually 9-10 men. If you have ever been in a brawl, you know that the extra two pair of hands makes a HECK of a lot of difference.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von Brizee:

The German squads have usually more close range weapons though. USA squads have 10 rifles, 1 BAR, and 1 Thompson. The 10 rifles arent great at close range.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on what they are going up against. If they are tangling with SMG squads, you're absolutely right. On the other hand, if the Germans are only armed with Mausers, the extra rate of fire of the Garand should give them quite an edge.

Michael