Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Demo hangs when starting... HELP!

the demo installed just fine.

Went to run it and after I clicked to accept the screen resolution it whent to te scanning disk for scenarios just stat there.

Minutes later (I am not being funny), I clicked on ESC , etc. to try to get the thing to progress. Nothing.

Finally, I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and then the game when to the screen with the list of scenarios. At that point the system was completely locked up and had to CTRL+ALT+DEL again to reboot the system.

This happens every time I try to start the blessed thing.

PIII 800

512 Megs if RAM

Alt-Tab will send you back to the desktop. If it does go back to the desktop you can re-maximize it and see if the screen has refreshed.

What Windows version, DirectX version, video card, driver version, motherboard and chipset do you have ? Do you have any programs that are running in the background, including anti-virus programs, etc. ? I'd suggest closing down as many programs and utilities that you can.

Which version of the drivers do you have loaded for the card ? What version of DirectX do you have ? What settings are you using for DirectX ? I suggest disabling any Z-Buffer settings and if FSAA is available to set it to use 2X instead of 'fastest performance'.

Alt-Tab'ing to the desktop is definitely not recommended since CMBB's 2D screens and text will corrupt with the Voodoo 4/5 family.

[ September 01, 2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

My 4 year old is on the computer at the moment, but here is what I know:

I can't remember the version of SB and 3dfx driver, but I have the most recent ones as I am a fanatics about keeping them current (not that there has been an update to the 3dfx driver for some time...)

Direct X 8.1

Motherboard is an AYSUS P3BF with the most recent BIOS.

I think the rest of your questions were answered in my original post i.e. OS, etc.

I know I need to switch to a new graphics card, but the P3BF won't take the new Geforce cards. So I am waiting for a motherboard I like to come along so I can switch everything at once.

So I gotta find a way to make this work somehow.

Have you tried the DirectX settings for 3dfx I suggested yet ? I have CMBB working with a Voodoo 5500 using the 1.04.01 (?) drivers - the last official set released by 3dfx I believe.

There are actually dozens of 3rd party hacks, which usually combine certain .DLLs of different drivers. On occasion some of the drivers are actually hacked a bit more extensively. You can get some of the latest official, x3dfx and hacked 3rd party drivers from Voodoo Files (click on 3dfx in the left side and you'll be given a choice of what type of files to download). I believe that there are some 1.08 drivers from x3dfx that work with the Voodoo 4/5 series, but I don't know how much better they are in Direct3D than the 1.04.01's.

Actually the P3BF could probably support most NVidia cards. I currently use a P2BF to run a GeForce2 Ultra with no problems (though I have a good power supply for the motherboard). Admittedly the BX chipsets are only rated at AGP 1.0 spec and everything says AGP 2.0 now, but I believe it would probably work. A GeForce4 Ti 4600 might push it, but even that may work with a good power supply.

[ September 02, 2002, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

My comp also hard-locks at the resolution selection screen. :rolleyes:

Alt+tab and crtl+esc do not work.

No other programs are running.

Comp specs as follows:

Win98SE, DX8.1

PIII 819mhz

384 megs of ram

Asus P3V4X Via based mb

Geforce3 Ti200 video card with the next to last WHQL drivers

SB Live! sound card

Well, the problem is partially solved.

I didn't change any of my settings, but now the game will start and I can play (WOW!).

However, I still have to coax CMBB through each screen, it will not automatically move on to the next screen. I have to click around, etc.

Perhaps stuff is happening, but there is no feedback to the user that anything is happening. Perhaps there should be some srt of a prograss meter at each stage and not just when the #D graphics are loading? Then people will know that something good is happening and not be wondering if the program has locked up.

Always better to give feedback than let the user wonder what is going on....

Sgian Dubh

Which particular screens do you have to 'coax along' ? The "Loading 3D Graphics" screen has an animated 'ellipsis' (trailing dots) that indicates that it is working and not locked up (but it doesn't indicate overall progress). However I've seen instances where this continues and the 3D screen never loads up (the video cards in question didn't really have enough RAM/VRAM or other driver problems).

Moving screen to screen is 'automatic' if you're speaking of the scenario selection/details screens (i.e. - selecting sides, play options and reading briefings). Once you've hit a button it should take you fairly quickly to the next 2D screen. The final loading of the 3D graphics can take a bit longer, but you should have an indication that it hasn't locked up at least.

What is your FSAA setting for your Voodoo 4 ? How about your other DirectX related settings (found in the Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced... button > 3dfx Advanced Features > Direct3D entry). Also, what are your settings under the General key ?

I have a Voodoo 5500 runing on an MSI BX-based motherboard with a P3-450 and Win98SE. I believe that the drivers are 1.04.01 Beta (I'm not absolutely sure since I have a number of them floating around). The '3dfx Info' tab reports the driver as v. 4.12.01.0666 dated 11-21-2000. These drivers run without problems (other than cursor/2D problem and Alt-Tab'ing to the desktop, which should be a problem with the single chip V4500).

AoA - have you installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers ? I don't know if they'll help, but I'd suggest them nevertheless. Did you have some previous NVidia drivers on your computer that you didn't uninstall before installing your current set ?