Supernades

I just fire a 50 cal a couple months ago and was reminded of the fact that it's freaking huge. While armor might stop single bullets, not only might they tear other pieces off (like tracks, exhaust stuff, etc), but over time couldn't they cause some spalling? I'd definately be surprised if it could destroy a Tiger reliably, but I could imagine how it could be done from on occasion. Angled armor hit by rounds on the trail end of their balistic arc, prior damage, and all those other intangibles could make it possible, especially with chunks of lead that big.

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

This is borne out by historical evidence - Saving Private Ryan-type desparation attacks on tanks work just often enough to make for inspiring reading. Most of the time they just get men killed.

I agree about the desparation attack, but sometimes it's all you have. With that said, if you ever have to do it. I've used the split squad command with some success. The down side is one of the teams tend to break easily and usually get dead fast. The up side is if you time it right, someone gets to the tank and at least has a chance of killing it. DON'T TRY IT WITH GREEN TROOPS THOUGH!

I used this tactic awhile ago to get a pesky Sherman that attempted and end around on a immobile jagr that was giving him fits.

Sherman 0, Infantry 1.