Normandy: Best Books About

Guest grunto

Hi,

For the purposes of containing the information to create CMBO scenarios, what are the best books on Normandy?

It seems that on the issue of the SS at Normandy - particularly the 12th Panzer - sources are divided as to their real-life efficacy.

So along with detailed accounts of company-level actions, and at least rudimentary maps, what are the most balanced and fair recountings of the battles in Normandy?

Thanks for your consideration,

Andy

I highly reccomend John Keegan's Six Armies in Normandy. Fun to read and very insightful.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

I recall a really good book but I'm not sure of the exact title. I think it was either "ST . Lo" or "The Battle for St. Lo". I think the US War Dept published it. Anyway, it has some really detailed pull-out maps of the Normandy countryside- very detail with contours and locations of US and enemy forces etc. Perfect for CM.

It's hard to find, I've only seen it in my old university library and they wouldn't let me check it out because it was a non-circulating book. I think it's rare and fragile with the maps that come with it.

The US Govt Printing Office publishes the book and it is available at most GPO Bookstores. I purchased mine at the DC branch last month.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

I recall a really good book but I'm not sure of the exact title. I think it was either "ST . Lo" or "The Battle for St. Lo". I think the US War Dept published it. Anyway, it has some really detailed pull-out maps of the Normandy countryside- very detail with contours and locations of US and enemy forces etc. Perfect for CM.

It's hard to find, I've only seen it in my old university library and they wouldn't let me check it out because it was a non-circulating book. I think it's rare and fragile with the maps that come with it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>