Need help with the id of a German unit, Belgium September 1944.

I am making a scenario based on a story related to me by Brenda's (the other half) uncle living in Belgium. It involved a battle near the town of Moerkerke across the Leopold and Afleidings canals. This would have been in September of 1944 between Ghent and Brugge near the towns of Moerkerke and Damme. He related the Canadian unit in the action as the Algonquin Regiment, something I have confirmed. What I haven't been able to get is the id of the German unit operating in the area. Maurice (Brenda's Uncle) didn't know and I was hoping some of you might know.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

There's a chance that "The Siegfried Line", a US Army "Green Book" might have some info, because it focuses on the 1st US Army in September thru December, but if the German unit faced only Commonwealth troops, the book might not help. My copy is the library (hah) so I can't give more help than that.

Hi Kford,

I've found a reference to the Algonquin Regiment in the book The Western Front 1944: Memoirs of a Panzer Lehr Officer by Helmut Ritgen.

The extended defense of the Scheldt estuary was primarily conducted by the LXVII Army Corps (commanded by General der Infanterie Sponheimer) with the 64th, 70th, 245th, and 711th Infantry Divisions and strong coastal artillery support.

The 64th and 70th Infantry were "bodenstandiger" (static) infantry divisions assigned to coastal defense. These divisions had very limited mobility and consisted of older personnel with little experience and a low level of training. They had fewer vehicles, mobile artillery, communications, and supply services than did normal infantry divisions.

The 64th ID (commanded by Generalleutnant Eberding) was initially established on 26 June 1944 in Wahn near Cologne. It was sent to Flanders in August and, although it was filled with veteran soldiers from destroyed eastern divisions, it was by not means an elite division. In spite of this, the Canadians later christened it "the best infantry division we have met"!(p. 216).

An item specific to the engagement you may be referring to (p. 219):

During the night 13 to 14 September, the Canadian Algonquin Regiment conducted the first enemy attack across the Leopold Canal in the area of Moerkerke. A small bridgehead was initially expanded with the help of strong artillery support, but it was eliminated after a counterattack by the 64th Infantry Division supported by organic artillery and marine fire. This encouraged the fledgling 64th Division. East of the Terneuzen Canal, the 1st Polish Armored Division (on the left flank of the 4th (Canadian) Armored Division) systematically compressed the bridgehead with superior firepower, until the harbour of Terneuzen was also lost on 21 September.

Hope that helps.

Good luck with the scenario design. smile.gif

Best Regards,

- Jeff

------------------

"The mass of the [Red] army stationed in Western Russia is to be destroyed in bold operations involving deep penetrations by armored spearheads, and the withdrawal of elements capable of combat into the extensive Russian land spaces is to be prevented.

By means of rapid pursuit a line is then to be reached from beyond which the Russian air force will no longer be capable of attacking the German home territories."

- - - Directive 21 "Fall Barbarossa"

Excellent, that is exactly what I was looking for! I know that some of the super history buffs would know the answer. I'll let everyone know when the scenario is done and ready for testing. The only problem that I still have is that the scenario is based from current maps of the area. I assume that some of the buildings are different but the canals (most germane to the battle) will still be the same.

Thanks,

Kevin