Fog Settings (!?)

Someone has probably posted about this before, but....The default settings for Fog and Heavy Fog seem very, uh, generous.

At Midday:

Fog- 750m

HF- 250m

AT Dawn/Dusk

Fog- 700m

HF- 84m

On most maps, therfore, Fog is basically meaningless and even the heavy stuff isn't that punitive. And the gradations don't appear particularly logical.The settings for HF strike me as the appropriate ones for normal Fog.

The current distances fail to evoke the impenetrable soup I remember as a kid in upstate NY. OTOH, the game engine renders the effect very well- quite atmospheric. You're just not getting any pratical concealment.

[ October 13, 2002, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

Maybe Russian fog is different from New York fog. Probably less smog mixed in with it.
Probably a lot more. Communist regimes haven't distinguished themselves in the domain of environmental fastidiousness. If you travel to Beijing, remember to pack your gas mask.

Originally posted by PeterX:

At Midday:

Fog- 750m

HF- 250m

AT Dawn/Dusk

Fog- 700m

HF- 84m

Bah, you aint seen fog till you've seen the local Power recovery facility dump 70 Degree Water back into the local river when it's -30 out. Of course the brainiacks just so happen to put it right up stream from the single bridge crossing the river. I just love 10m visibality in the middle of Rush hour traffic and not be able to see the front end of my car.

Originally posted by Nippy:

Bah, you aint seen fog till you've seen the local Power recovery facility dump 70 Degree Water back into the local river when it's -30 out. Of course the brainiacks just so happen to put it right up stream from the single bridge crossing the river. I just love 10m visibality in the middle of Rush hour traffic and not be able to see the front end of my car.

Heh heh! Bet the thin layer of ice from the mist on that bridge adds a little more excitement to your drive...

Common sense isn't. Especially when government operations are invovled.

Visibility on the order of 1/2 mi (800 m) for fog and 1/8 mi (200 m) for heavy seem reasonable to me. Very infrequent anywhere to get WXOF (weather - ceiling completely obscured to the ground and zero (less than 1/8 mi) visibility). When it does happen, troops hunker down and wait for it to lift. You could get hurt wandering around in weather like that.