Should Shocked & Panicked AFV's Do This?

In the heat of Quick Battle, the duelists meet, and as is common in CM, both plug each other at the same time. Notice, however, that the PSW 222 seems to have come off the worse of the two. Shocked and Panicked! He's for it now!

snap020.jpg

But what's this? Fritz get's off another shot, a mere second later? Perhaps it was already in the breach when he got hit? Surely he will pop some smoke and retreat now though...

snap021.jpg

Yet here we are, six seconds later (I guess one less crewman did slow him down a little), still going toe-to-toe with the Russki --- not a sign of flinching:

snap022.jpg

And still some six seconds further on, Fritz finally gives Ivan what for! (It was right after this that smoke appeared and the PSW Reversed).

snap023.jpg

I guess our hero of the Fatherland wasn't really as shocked and panicked as the interface led me to believe? Or maybe it was a ruse to throw off the Russki? 'Course, next turn I was unable to issue orders to the PSW, as it was still Panicked.

Anyone else think this odd?

Originally posted by Sergei:

Maybe the driver got killed? The gunner, being veteran, realized that all he could hope for was to destroy the BT... well, I guess if crew was in panic, then they should have abandoned the AC.

Hmmm --- maybe it should have said "Berserk" instead of "Panic", eh?

Isn't the problem that you are using your observations of what happens to infantry when they panic to colour your expectations of vehicles? Think about how the scenarios differ. When infantry take fire, especially HE or MG, they will tend to hit the ground and stay in cover, and that's what happens in CM. In the vehicle example above, the crucial reaction is that of the gunner, so put yourself in his place: there's an immediate threat to front and your vehicle is hit in the hull. Now you may or may not be aware that the driver has just been pasted all over the inside of the car, and the commander might even be screaming "reverse, reverse!", but you have the enemy in your sights and you've just seen your shot penetrate. Even if you panic along with the boss, you are still likely to keep firing, you're just more likely to fumble or fire wildly (though at that range, with the gun already laid, how can you miss?).

Now all of that is a rationalisation, and the real reason is to do with how the game engine works, but in answer to your question, no I don't think it's odd. Or at least no more odd than many other things that happen in war.

PS Maybe I'm just feeling fractious because I live in the UK and HAVEN'T GOT THE GAME YET. BWAHAHAHAHA!!! I WANT THE GAME. PUHLEEZ CAN I HAVE THE GAME?!?!? I HATE YOU ALL!!!

Even taking into consideration yr obviously fragile state of mind there Monty, you do make a good point.

But, actually, I am basing my observations on what I've seen other vehicles in CMBB do when Shocked (stop shooting), and Panicked (run away!). That's why this seems just a tad odd.

Guest Sgt. Emren

If the driver got wasted, the PSW shouldn't really be going anywhere, should it? :confused: I mean, the commander or gunner would first have to remove the dead body from the drivers seat.

More likely, the commander got wacked and the gunner just kept on firing. So the driver panicked but couldn't go anywhere, with the corpse of the commander slumped on top of him, and the gunner was shocked but managed to keep firing. :D

I saw this when testing with Madmatt. He explained it to me as such (after my paniced Pz IV took out 2 T34s): Paniced means the unit is out of your control and acting for self preservation. Sometines that can be standing and shooting. Other times it will be fleeing.

WWB

troops displaying odd behavior in battle? go figure! lol...

i had a tank break ranks, go blitzing up a road, crest a hill, and get blown away by 4 enemy tanks on the other side. and doing that without orders, gentleman. without orders! (damn it, I'M supposed to be in charge here! :mad: ) i think what happened is that he targeted a vehicle which then disappeared below the hill, so he decided to give chase. i would have loved to see the look on his moronic face when he realized his stupidity. oh well, such is war....

CMBB troops are also more likely to keep fighting back once they started engaging enemies, so I guess this not a bug.. it's a feature smile.gif

Pretty realistic imho, troops that are already engaging the enemy may "panick" but that doesn't mean they will engage in cartoonesque stereotypes of panicky behavior (throwing away their rifles, running around in circles with their hands raised up to the sky shouting "Mommie, Mommie!" tongue.gif ).

They are rather more likely to keep shooting and even intensify their efforts (all guns blazing, using ammo like nobodies business) until they snap ("rout" in CMBB) and go into shock.

Nice Screens btw, these lil' armored cars are just sooo cute :D

[ October 03, 2002, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]

Wow, I love the unusual things that happen in CMBB. This is a perfect example. Wether it's modelled or not, I like the image of the driver taking the hit and the gunner panicking as he realizes the PSW isn't going anywhere, the russki's have the drop on him, and he's not going to get the hatch open fast enough. Desperately lining up a shot on the russian. . .

great stuff.