Minefield Layering

I was tinkering with mines the other day ("Cut the red wire, or the blue one? Red...NO BLUE!...BOOM!") and began considering the effectiveness of minefields on infantry.

Minefields can be stacked one on top another. If this is the case, do minefields have a cumulative effect? Are the chances of detonating a mine increased based on the number of minefields across which a unit is traveling?

Is it simply more effective to make a minefield deeper, or to concentrate the mines in a single location?

Stacking AT minefield does nothing. Kill rate is still about 70%

AP mines do get about double kill rate (30-40% IIRC) and a much higher suppression rate (ie units that go to ground or retreat about 80-90%)

Don't use minefields in QBs as they are way too expensive for the ground they can actually cover and your point would be better spent on more infantry. The other problem is that in QBs you rarely get natural obstacles to tie into. Except of course in hvy woods but no decent player is bringing armour to into that anyway.

In any other terrain it is just too easy to drive around or in the case of AP mines run through. Now in a scenario they can be a lot of fun, if often ill-used.

I'd say the impact value of mines depends mostly on map size and cosequently, on force size.

Ideally the price of minefields (or at least area size) should be on a sliding scale determined by this.

In a small battle (800pt) on a 'small' map, minefields can hem in a significant area of the field making them tremedously valueble.

It would be very realistic to stack AP and AT mines. Aside from daisy chain AT mines, it was very rare to see one without the other. The AP mines hinder the removal of the AT mines, which is relatively easy.

WWB

• 2 weeks later...

Just to disagree a bit, with the post about not using minefields in QB. I do all the time (now I'm talking AP only) esp. right in front of my reverse slope defences - and, after studying the terrain, along routes I'm fairly certain the AI is going to use to approach the flags. I find they work well in pinning/slowing troops down, decreasing morale, etc. as I bring my artillery in, have MGs opening up, etc. I'm pretty sure they've made the diffence for me in hanging on in some QB when the AI had 125%+ and more advantages.Also, recently I had a QB where I couldn't spare the troops to cover a particular route on my flank (that probably wasn't going to be used, but...) So.. I put a minefield there and monitored for explosions. Nobody came thru, but it gave me great piece of mind. Anyway, that's my experience so far.