Default save location for Editor

Don't guess this qualifies as a true bug, but it's un-handy. I noticed when making some QB maps last nght that the save window for the editor opens in the /scenario folder, even if my previous save was to the QB Map folder. I had to switch folders each time. This seems to be true for any .cme file that you intend to save.

In CMBO the editor save always defaulted to the /save game folder, which was a "safer" default. The way CMBB is set up, I presume if you pull up a scenario to edit so that you can play it out with a different force mix, or to use the map, it will copy over the original scenario with the altered file unless you rename it, so it's pretty easy to lose the original scenario. Defaulting to the /save game folder like CMBO would be a safer alternative.

Or am I just doing something wrong...?

- Old Dog

Originally posted by Old Dog:

In CMBO the editor save always defaulted to the /save game folder, which was a "safer" default. The way CMBB is set up, I presume if you pull up a scenario to edit so that you can play it out with a different force mix, or to use the map, it will copy over the original scenario with the altered file unless you rename it, so it's pretty easy to lose the original scenario. Defaulting to the /save game folder like CMBO would be a safer alternative.

- Old Dog

Saved Games was NOT a safer alternative. There were many incidents of people saving a battle, starting to test it and saving over it. Scenarios folder is immesuarably better.

Also remember that opening it as a qb map will automatically save it to the QB maps folder.

WWB

I dunno WWB, seems to me like we've just traded one problem (scenario designers inadvertantly overwriting their scenarios when they test them) for another (scenario tinkerers inadvertantly overwriting the original scenarios that come with the game).

Guess we all just need to watch where we're saving. :D

- Old Dog

I dunno WWB, seems to me like we've just traded one problem (scenario designers inadvertantly overwriting their scenarios when they test them) for another (scenario tinkerers inadvertantly overwriting the original scenarios that come with the game).

Guess we all just need to watch where we're saving. :D

- Old Dog

Yeah, but those originals can be pulled from the CD using WinRAR. Your work cannot be recovered making that a bit more serious.

WWB

Thank God they made this change; I think many of us got stung by the Saved Game folder default - created a scenario, unwittingly saved it to the Saved Game folder, then played it making it impossible to edit again. Any maps that we did were lost forever.

At least if you overwrite an older file, you still have the genesis of the scenario in case of a boo-boo - the old way you were left with absolutely nothing.

WWB, Michael, point well taken.

Maybe as Snarker suggested making the CD scenarios "read only" would be a nice idea for the patch then (unless they are already - haven't experimented).

- Old Dog

I remember the bmps on the CMBO CD being Read Only...haven't tested the scenarios on either disk though.

WWB, Michael, point well taken.

Maybe as Snarker suggested making the CD scenarios "read only" would be a nice idea for the patch then (unless they are already - haven't experimented).

- Old Dog

You can do it yourself - for Windoze machines go into the folder, highlight the scenario files and then right click. Select "properties" and set the files to "read only". Any Mac folks care to 'splain how to do it for your machines?

or, if you have nothing but CD scenarios in the folder, you can do it en masse from the command line like so:

go to the cmbb\scenarios folder in the command line then type

attrib *.* +r

That will set all files in folder to read only.

WWB

Originally posted by wwb_99:

or, if you have nothing but CD scenarios in the folder, you can do it en masse from the command line like so:

go to the cmbb\scenarios folder in the command line then type

attrib *.* +r

That will set all files in folder to read only.

WWB

Cripes! The "old fashioned way"! Love it! It's the CNE in me. :D

[ October 03, 2002, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Snarker ]