Problem Using Mac Mod Managers

I'm suddenly having a problem using the CM MacMod 1.0 manager. The other manager (MCM3 v1.6) has never worked for me (couldn't see or do anything with bmp files, e.g.) but MacMod 1.0 for a while worked fine. Now, however, when I drop bmp or jpg files onto it, I can't seem to save them into new graphics files. I get a dialogue box saying that there's a problem with the "resource forks" and I can't proceed with the mod.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any ideas about how to fix it? Maybe I'm doing something dumb or there's some other simple solution? Would reinstalling CM help? I'm trying to help out with the new Pacific Mod version of CM that's in process and I can't do much to help till I solve this problem.

I'm running system 9.1 on a beige G3, 300mhz, if that helps at all. Haven't changed the system that I know of since Mods stopped working. Old modded "graphics" files still work, BTW. I just can't import new mods at all.

Thanks.

ResEdit has a verify resource fork option that you might want to try (if you've got it) and/or run a disk utility program (like Norton or Tech Tool). The other thought is that you may well have maxed out the resource files. Each resource file can only hold 16 megs of data. That's OS imposed so yer outta luck if that's the case.

Please note though, that you should be able to stick the images in ANY of the resource files that Combat Mission uses and they will be found. Of course, the mod managers don't let you choose where they go.

As to why MCM doesn't work... that sounds very strange to me. MCM needs the bmps inside the "mod folder". Like if you've got a mod folder MyNewCromwell then the bmps need to be in the top level of that directory for MCM to see them. The other possibility might be quicktime, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't installed.

Hope some of that helps.

I too am surprised at your trouble with MCM3. I've been using it with OS 9.1 and it has been remarkably trouble free so far. Have you carefully gone over the Read Me file that comes with it? Be sure to check out the one that comes with 1.5 as well as it contains important information on the use of the program that is not duplicated in the 1.6 Read Me.

Michael

Well, I'm puzzled too about MC3M. I've checked the read-me and I think I'm using it right. I open the program then select a folder full of bmps to be modded. The folder has maybe 30 bmp's in it, but my dialogue box, though having selected that folder (MyCromwellMod or whatever), shows just a blank screen instead of all the bmp's I expect to be there. I've tried the two programs recommended for those with bmps but they don't help.

Which is why I'm using the other program and now running into the resource fork problem. I've run Norton Utilities several times and it says my hard disk is squeeky clean. Is there anything I can do with ResEdit (which I've never used but have) which might help? If I have maxed out resource forks, is there some way to get them cleaned up?

Thanks a lot for your help....

I am inclined to think that the problem is not in any way with your machine, but with the mods. Which ones are they and where did you get them? I'll try taking them on and see if anything develops.

One final thought on MCM3, and that is that the copy you have may have a corrupted file somewhere. You might try trashing it and downloading a fresh copy.

Michael

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Well, I'm puzzled too about MC3M. I've checked the read-me and I think I'm using it right. I open the program then select a folder full of bmps to be modded. The folder has maybe 30 bmp's in it, but my dialogue box, though having selected that folder (MyCromwellMod or whatever), shows just a blank screen instead of all the bmp's I expect to be there. I've tried the two programs recommended for those with bmps but they don't help.

Which is why I'm using the other program and now running into the resource fork problem. I've run Norton Utilities several times and it says my hard disk is squeeky clean. Is there anything I can do with ResEdit (which I've never used but have) which might help? If I have maxed out resource forks, is there some way to get them cleaned up?

Thanks a lot for your help....

I had this problem when I first tried to use it, MC3M that is. When you go to get the files are you pressing the "open" button or the "choose" button? If you are pressing the "open" button then you are doing it wrong. Press the "choose" button. Also sometimes you have to run them through the PC BMP to QT BMP file typer.

[ April 07, 2002, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

[/QB]

Originally posted by Panzerman:

I had this problem when I first tried to use it, MC3M that is. When you go to get the files are you pressing the "open" button or the "choose" button? If you are pressing the "open" button then you are doing it wrong. Press the "choose" button. Also sometimes you have to run them through the PC BMP to QT BMP file typer.[/QB]

That was IT! Bigdog just talked me through the problem over email, and he figured out, as you did, what I was doing wrong. He said he, too, had made the same mistake early on.

Thanks very much for the explanation! I think I'll send a post to the MC3M author about this--if several people have made the same mistake, maybe it would we worth calling attention to this error in the ReadME. I'm sure what the ReadMe tells us to do is correct, but ones so habitually "opens" folders rather than "chooses" them that it's worth underlining the need to choose.

Thanks all for working with me on this problem!

[ April 07, 2002, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]