I'm Sick of Hedges :)

I'm currently working on the huge project of creating an operation based on the Santa Maria Infante battle described in CMH Pub 100-14, Small Unit Actions. There's nothing "small" about this action, however, because it covered an area about 2500x3500m and involved the better part of 2 regiments on the attack alone.

I started on the map about a week ago. It's typical rugged Italian terrain so it took me 3 days of tracing contour lines just to build all the hills and valleys. Since then I've been "painting" it with tiles for what's on all those hills. The bitch here is that there is hardly a tile on the whole map without something in it, and that something is almost always a hedge, which I'm using to simulate the terraces the local farmers built all over the hillsides in a dense crazy quilt pattern of tiny fields.

My Gawd, I must have laid down 20 miles of hedge already and I'm only like 15% done with the job. It's not like making big forests because you have to carefully fit the hedge pieces together in rows based on constant study of the aerial photos in the books and making due allowance for the 20m limitation of CM tiles. And it's worse than Norman bocage maps because these Italian fields are MUCH smaller on average.

So I'm sick of hedges. And when I get done with them, I still have all the troops to do, plus the extensive belts of German Gustav Line fortifications to emplace. I figure I might have this whole mess done by the summer sometime. The only thing that's keeping me going is the view I get of the beautiful Left and Right Tits standing proud in the center of the map smile.gif But I'm taking the rest of the day off..

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

It'll all be worth it in the end. Just think how you'll feel when you've trimmed the last bit of hedge into position and you can drool over your handiwork (been there). In the meantime, enjoy the view. I for one will be looking out for your announcement of the project's completion.

As I understand it, CM3 is going to be at least in part in Italy. Given my experience making this map so far, I would recommend to BTS that they suspend work on CM2 long enough to build the terrain system and editor for CM3, then go back to work on CM2. This way, the scenario design team can get to work on CM3 maps and might have a half dozen of them built by the time CM3 ships wink.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.