Assault Strategy Help

Usually when I assault I start by sending in my tanks with the support of whatever high-level infantry units I can fit on the backs of my tanks. After I have broken the enemy formations, I send in the main body of my infantry. However, my tanks take high causualties, and I have been having trouble dealing with enemy re-inforcements that go heavy on the armor. Any suggestions on what I could do to lessen armor casualties, or deal with the enemy tanks after losing so much of my armor?

P.S. I've been looking for a good WWI simulator, does anybody know of one?

------------------

"War is like a cat, it is easy to let out of the bag, but hard as hell to put back in!"

-Me

Drop your infantry off the backs of the tanks when you close suspected enemy positions and use them to scout out enemy AT assets. Also, disregard the flags and go for the good terrain that lets you control the approaches to the flags. There are very few battles that don't alow you to take your time, clean the enemy's clock and then take the flags.

------------------

"It's a boy!" - My wife's OB/GYN

Nov. 8th, 4:45am

Read Fionn's Open Terrain AAR on CMHQ. Fionn makes an assault with fewer points than the defender, and grabs a smashing victory after only 15 or so turns. It's a lesson in assaults for everyone.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

It can make sense to move mounted as you have been doing over ground you know is clear of the enemy or of his fire. But once you think contact is likely, it is best to send small infantry units ahead of your armor/ Infantry are "eyes and ears". What you haven't seen can most definitely hurt you. Yes, they can be pinned down pretty easily, but only by disclosing a target your tanks can then hit, and you wil have more.

Also, when going in to heavily occupied enemy areas, leading with tanks invites high losses to infantry anti-tank weapons, especially if you have the Allies facing German fausts at close range. Usually it is better to suppress the enemy infantry with fire or arty and then send in the infantry first, with the tanks supporting by fire. Broken infantry is very vunerable to infantry in close combat, and one shooter left pinning a squad is much more acceptable than one faust left torching a tank.

The tank's main job it not to carry infantry theough MG fire, but to kill the enemy armor without dying themselves, and then to support by fire without getting within range of the infantry anti-tank weapons. A tank that is left alive at 200+ yards with functioning armament, when the enemy armor has been beaten, is practically invunerable and can dominate all the more open areas of the whole battlefield. More it better of course. But the end-state to aim for with tanks is just that - yours alive and supporting, his dead.

One note about Fionn's Open Terrain AAR:

The first stages are a result of doctrine.

The latter stages are the result of a developed situation, in which an enemy defence is crumbling on a broader front.

If you have any questions, email me.

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 01-17-2001).]