Sherman questions?

Good questions and I don't know the answers to most of them. Where is Jason C when you need him? He hasn't been much evident lately, has he?

Anyway, I recall reading somewhere on the forum that about 4,400 Shermans were sent to Russia (about equally divided between Sherm 75s and 76).

Don't know how many actually made it to England but I'm guessing possibly 25,000 out of the 40,000 + actually built, allowing for some shipped to Russia, some directly to North Africa, Italy or S.France, some to the Pacific, and some still in the US when the war ended. Anyone have the actual figures?

One source on Lend Lease is the Statistical Review of WWII by the Army Service Forces. It can be downloaded from The Military History Institute. Here is some data from one chart, though:

M4 and M4A1 (75) - 3105 (UK)

M4A2 (75) - 7414 (UK)

M4A2 (76) - 2115 (USSR)

M4A4 (75) - 7436 (UK)

The country in parentheses is the "principal recipient." They don't break it down individually and the French also received some. But this can give you an idea.

Another good source is this web site:

M4 Sherman

It shows production figures by model and notes where some of them went. It also explains the British coding for Shermans (for example, 'C' after the roman numeral means Firefly).

I don't have sources to answer your other questions.