Bunker Bashing

Ok. I know what I saw but I need some support. Heavy indirect fire can cause a concrete bunker to abandon. Is this true? Or are my eyes faling me.

Last night I had two tganks kills and a concrete bunker kill with my 105mm offscreen fire. My FO had direct sight each time and the pummeling was intense.

Any feedback?

Gator, I read in another thread that you had been "holding off" on purchasing the "full version" of CMBO. Are you busting these concrete bunkers with 105mm on the Demo or am I misunderstanding your post and you do, in fact, have CMBO? If its the demo only, I can see where the difference in observation is coming from: there have been at least two updates to CMBO since the demo. I don't know for a fact that these updates changed anything with regard to 105mm v. concrete bunkers, but it could explain the difference between your observations and the general perception.

Well,

Agua in his infinite wisdom pointed out that the demo was different than later patches of the game.

I still think that this is a CROCK! I mean really, if a tank can abandon then a pillbox can abandon.

Anyone ever suffer real time artty barrage while in a concrete bunker? Not one underground all the way. But one with exposure. Thank God I have not, but I have been in those bunkers with the grenade holes and everything and it would not be pretty under heavy artillery.

Log MG bunkers can easily be KOed by any sort of artillery fire, even 81mm mortars. They are really only proof against small arms fire. The easiest way to kill them is still to put direct gun rounds through the wall, which even a 37mm light tank gun can do.

And yes the crew can abandon any bunker type after e.g. their MG gets knocked out by a penetrating round. Sometimes with casualties, sometimes not.

But the concrete pillboxes are a different story. They are not just field emplacements. Their primary purpose is to defend the occupants against indirect artillery fire, and generally they do it quite well. High caliber arty might hurt them, but it is a waste. And "high" means just begining at 155mm. If it wouldn't be fired by naval cruisers and up, it isn't likely to work. And artillery can give you more bang for the limited shells available hitting softer targets.

Direct fire by high velocity guns from the front can do more to them, because it can be aimed at their firing slit. The MG variety of pillbox you can often take out by parking tanks in front of it and firing until a round finds the sweet spot. But the AT gun pillboxes are the tough ones, because they shoot back instead of sitting there.

All pillboxes have a vunerable point at their rear door, where any decent AT weapon can typically knock them out. Flamethrowers will also do the trick if they can get close enough. They also only face one direction and do not move, of course, so single pillboxes can be flanked or bypassed. Several supporting each other make for a tougher item, which generally you will need to "dismantle" in deliberate sequence.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MoatnGator:

Anyone ever suffer real time artty barrage while in a concrete bunker? Not one underground all the way. But one with exposure. Thank God I have not, but I have been in those bunkers with the grenade holes and everything and it would not be pretty under heavy artillery.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a thread concerning this very subject there was somebody on here who had experienced 155 in a bunker. IIRC, they stated it was terrifying, but the bunker remained intact, and in fact, had been used regularly for the purpose of demonstrating the strength of an artillery barrage.

Think of it this way as well, If arty is raining down, wouldn't ya be better off in the bunker than outside?