Questionable use of demo charges by AI.

I just got done with cemetary hill (got a draw), and on the second to the last turn, my pioneer squad decides to throw a demo charge in between two buildings (which both contain friendly soldiers) to clear a mine field.

You can assess the situation for yourself:

explosion.JPG

Essentially the Pio squad nearly killed about 5 persons, luckily even though BOTH buildings callapsed, I only suffered 2 casualties. Then again, I have about 10-15 fighting men left on the battlefield.

This is an AI issue, and possibly a bug.

Originally posted by Rick614:

Wouldn't be the first time in the heat of battle that something went boom where it wasn't supposed to.

You're probably right, I can assume that the soldiers who threw the charge didn't know anyone was in the houses, or the state the houses were in (which is damaged).

The question is does the Pio Squad Algorithm have in a probability table for recognizing friendly forces within the blast area.

In other words, will the Pio Squad sometimes see friendly forces and sometimes not ?

I doubt this is in the algorithm but would be a nice tweak for future versions to simulate mistakes made on the battlefield smile.gif

Originally posted by AnonymousOxide:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rick614:

Wouldn't be the first time in the heat of battle that something went boom where it wasn't supposed to.

You're probably right, I can assume that the soldiers who threw the charge didn't know anyone was in the houses, or the state the houses were in (which is damaged).</font>

Based on what I've seen regarding pioneers using demos on minefields and NOT hurting anybody, I strongly suspect the kills were caused by the building collapse, not directly by the explosion. Perhaps buildings, too, should be unhurt by demos used to take out minefields? I'm not sure how realistic either situation is, myself.