Any thought on tactics

Guest Shatter50

Guest Shatter50

I looking for answers in the Chance battle in the Demo. I can't decide if I get a better handle on the battle when I deploy my tanks to engage first or my infantry. Tried deploying at same time but is difficult for infantry and tanks to engage at same time. When engaging tanks first most if not all are destroyed while with infantry I lose a significant amount of troops due to enemy tanks.

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier!

Let the enemy come to you! If you play German, use your far better tanks to knock out his when he comes over the hill.

I f you play Alied, then mass your shermans and hit him hard!

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

In general, leading with your infantry is the best policy. Keeping tanks towards the rear (about 50-500m behind (200m is a good rule of thumb, depending on terrain)) and keeping them in two groups (or so) is a good idea. The dispersion of the tanks allows you to prevent the flanking of your units while encouraging the flanking of the enemy.

--Chris

Shatter,

combined arms is the way to go. If you let your infantry stroll to far away from your tanks, enemy HE assets will rip your troops apart.

If you lead with tanks (we are talking attack here), your fighting machines will be toast if the enemy had put up a decent defense.

The very first thing you want to do if you are on the move is recon.

Depending on the terrain and time limits, use infantry and move them from cover to cover in the general direction of the enemy. Through cover terrain, use SNEAK or MOVE, while crossing strips of open terrain with a RUN command. Remember, if you have a large area to cover for recon purposes, you can spilt your squads.

If you have in a platoon in a position to advance on a suspected enemy position, do not rush the whole platoon at once. Use 1 or 2 squads, so that the other squads could give you covering fire if the enemy opens up (overwatch move).

This works even better with 2 platoons, where one of them provides covering fire for the other.

When the first platoon is in position, they change their roles; squad #1 now stays and #2 crosses the field (bounding overwatch).

If time is of the essence, or in order to give your scouting infantry some punch, use your recon vehicles (if available) to gather information.

Move them fast from cover to cover position stay there for a minute and then change the position.

During this phase your tanks should slowly follow your infantry (depending on terrain, say with a 50-100 m distance).

If your force is supplied with Halftracks (like German Panzergrenadiers), I prefer to let them (with embarked troops) follow the tanks in another 50 m gap (as a "third line").

When it comes to contact, suppress the enemy infantry, before trying to assault their positions. Use your tanks to destroy enemy tanks, look for a weak spot in the enemy defenses.

If you found it, taxi your troops in the Halftracks as close as possible to this site, debark them and, in cooperation with the tanks, exploit the enemy weak spot.

Well, possibilities are nearly endless. smile.gif

Fred

------------------

"I got signals, I got readings, in front and behind of us!" - PFC Hudson on LV-426 mission

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited 08-21-2000).]

Guest grunto

If you use "move" on a large group of infantry, the bazookas will generally lead, and the MGs will keep up fairly well.

If you set them all to "run," the HQs will lead and the MGs will lag because they can't run.

The German light MG42s keep up really nicely with a group of other infantry set to 'move.'

Andy

FYI for CE as well as ANY scenario........keep your armor at LEAST 200+ meters from any woods or location that might shelter a bazooka or panzerfaust Many a newbie has come to grief getting a little too close.... biggrin.gif

Also some ideas for use in the thread Anyone over run Americans in Chance encounter http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum6/HTML/000354.html

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

Shatter50

One of the most important things you need to

do is study closly the terran (Map) you are fighting in.

You could have the best fighting force but

if you dont know the map, you opponent will.

Before I every place any units from men to

armor I make sure that I know where a possible ambush could be or a place where

my forces could retreat to incase of being

over run.

Check the weather conditions if you have heavy tanks and are playing in mud then you

will most likely stay close to the mian roadway. If this is the case then you need to

look closly at what and where your units

could be attacked or where you could set

up a possible ambush position.

Understanding the map that you play on will

help you from being out flanked and knowing

where the enemy may attack from.

I have played many many games against opponents and I often defeat players that

have not looked closely around where they are

positioned and what terran is infront of them or behind them.

I usually will move the camera around at

position #1 to see what I can see around the

map landscape.

I hope this helps.

Deadline

------------------

"My honor is Life both grow as one, take honor

from me and my life is done."

Shatter -

One Word - SMOKE!!!!!!!!!

The more the better. I have been on the delivering and receiving end of massive smoke barrages, and nothing negates the advantages of a King Tiger or SuperPershing better than being engulfed by a giant cloud of smoke, and then being killed by some lowly footsoldiers.

Heed my words... They will help you.

------------------

CrapGame

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier!

Crapgame. What the HELL kinda name is that! I hate smoke....should only be unsed in the MOST DESPRATE times. once those German scum used an 80mm spotter to smoke my boys. didn,t work to well and I was soon I was all over him. Mabye if he'd used real BULLETS.....

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter50:

I looking for answers in the Chance battle in the Demo. I can't decide if I get a better handle on the battle when I deploy my tanks to engage first or my infantry. Tried deploying at same time but is difficult for infantry and tanks to engage at same time. When engaging tanks first most if not all are destroyed while with infantry I lose a significant amount of troops due to enemy tanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ill tell you what too do. go to 'create scenario,' then either open a map or make one or whatever, and delete all the infrantry except for like 1 platoon, and add more (much more :]) tanks. now play it, and you wont havat worry about it. tank battles are alot more fun =p

Guest Silesian-jaeger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter50:

Waiting for anyone thoughts. I am just a newbie help me out guys.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In most cases, when playing the computer, try a flanking manuever. The computer, IMO, rarely covers its flanks and a strong attack there w/ armour supported by infantry works for me 90% of the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Crapgame. What the HELL kinda name is that! I hate smoke....should only be unsed in the MOST DESPRATE times. once those German scum used an 80mm spotter to smoke my boys. didn,t work to well and I was soon I was all over him. Mabye if he'd used real BULLETS.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Private MB:

The fact that you don't recognize the origin of my name or its presence on this board speaks volumes about your age. Due to this fact, as well as that you are a newbie(junior member), and the youthful exuberance of your post means I will refrain from a harshly-worded inflammatory response.

I have been around these fora a long time, and have been playing the game since the Beta Demo became available to the public. I have read enough AAR's, played enough battles, and had enough conversations with players whose CM skills lay far above my level to learn a few things about CM. One of those little gems is that in CM, smoke is an essential element in carrying out a successful assault. Assaults carried out without smoke, except in cases of incredible firepower superiority which results in total suppression of the enemy, are doomed to failure, or at least cost extremely high casualties. You would know this if you have played very much.

And perhaps your "German scum" need to be commanded by the right leader (not the AI), and then see how quickly they die....

You are dismissed.

------------------

CrapGame

CrapGame

I commend you for your well composed

and professional manner in dealing

with " Lord General MB"

Lord General MB I would rather have someone

named CrapGame fighting by my side.

Deadline

------------------

"My honor is Life both grow as one, take honor

from me and my life is done."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silesian-jaeger:

In most cases, when playing the computer, try a flanking manuever. The computer, IMO, rarely covers its flanks and a strong attack there w/ armour supported by infantry works for me 90% of the time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A benift of thisis it leaves the attacker with a covered flank on the map edge side. Crawling the edge is not well regarded for PBEM games, but an aggresive attack into the enemy flank just makes too much sense to me to ignore.

Guest Lord General MB

Crapgame sir,

I regret my harsh wordings sir. On the subject of smoke. Like I said (permishin to speak freely sir,) "Most desprate times"

such as when being assaulted. However I still belive smoke does not totaly benifit in every case. ex, I moved a squad of troops into some bush. the next turn I find a panther at my door step. Instead of smoking him (and pulling back) I had my men rush the tank and gernade him. Boom. You see, my commander had the highest rating for command thus giving me a quiker response then the panther.

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

LGMB:

No harm done. Just didn't want you to start off on the wrong foot in the eyes of many of the forum veterans. They don't take kindly to that type of post. Anyway, your response was funny and very creative.

Stick around, there's much the people here have to share.

------------------

CrapGame

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ParasiteX:

did anybody read my post?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you write a post?

wink.gif

Michael