One Ami Left in Europe!

Hello CM Friends, It's Shawn the Travelling American reporting from Grenoble. Well, to my (limited) knowledge, I am the only American CM guy currently traveling in Europe. I'd like to report that I am alive and well and heading for some sailing in Croatia. However, I have managed some extrordinary WWII wargasam moments. First, I spent a great week in Normandy with my bestest buddy, Paul. I'd like to thank the Forum Friend who recommended that *we take flashlights (torches for you Brits), as we put them to great use in the numerous bunkers. We even managed to find a secreted bunker high on the Bluff of Omaha at Easy Green Exit. Paul spotted a chimney poking out of the ground about 6 inches, and after some searching under the gorse, we found a trench that led to a hidden bunker. Without the flashlights, there's no way in hell I would have gone down there!

We then went to Belgium and spent three days examining The Bulge. At the fantastic museum at La Gleize, while wandering the streets with my copy of "Bulge Through The Lens" full of Then_and_Now photos, I met an old gentleman who it turned out was the curator of the museum. He took the book and proceeded to walk me all over the village shozing me where each photo was taken. Great moment!

Then it was on To Duxford for the overwhelmingly huge Air and Land museum there. And then on to London, where I was invited to Andreas' flat for a terrific preview of Barbarossa. The fun continued as I recrossed to the continent and drove to the Musee des Blindes (that's Tank Museum to us non French speakers). Well, I gotta tell you, I had to do a pants-check as I walked into the German armor room. For there I beheld in almost one glance the following: Tiger I & II, Panther, P III? P IV (with mesh skirt armor), P II, Lynx, all the Marders, Jagdpanzer IVs (one was so penetrated that I stuck my camera inside and fllashed away), Stug IIIG, Stug IV, Brumbar, and various trucks. Now, I ask you, could you have just peed your pants a little bit? hehehe

The American, British contingents were cool too, but the Russians had a T34 76c, KV I and an SU 100 which rocked!

I highly recommend the tank museum in Saumur if you can ever get there.

Well guys, I gotta get on a train for Croatia. Hope everyone's summer is going great. See you on the Steppes in Sept!!!

Shawn