Commandos raid at Bruneval - Feb 1942

Guys,

The next in the series of Commando raids now available at the depot, extract from the Joint Briefing below. This one is a medium size scenario, allied units are as historical as can be.....axis units have been increased to make the scenario challenging (Mostly signal units were based at Bruneval historically)

About this scenario;

Towards the end of 1941 a mysterious German installation at Bruneval on the French coast, not far from Le Havre, attracted the attention of photographic reconnaissance aircraft of the RAF.

Vertical and oblique air photographs showed that a Radar type device (Later known to be a Radio Location Device used for the early detection of allied planes and shipping) was mounted in a shallow pit, 50 yards in front of a large Isolated house on the coastal cliffs of Bruneval. British intelligence studied the recon pictures and suspected that this device was partly responsible for the loss of many British Bombers on their way to targets in occupied Western Europe.

Immediate action was determined to be necessary and a raid was planned without delay. The objectives of the raid were to remove sections of the device and bring it back, intact, to England for further inspection by British Intelligence. Also, if possible to capture any German Technicians or Signals personel who understood this equipment.

The installation was so well guarded from the seaward side that a boat landing and attack from the sea was ruled out of the question....therefore, on January 8th 1942 Lord Louis Mountbatten - Chief of Combined operations - requested that the 1st Airborne Division carry out this important mission.

Major J.D.Frost of C company, 2nd Battalion 1st Airborne was to lead the attack, transport would be provided by Whitley Bombers and the paratroopers would be dropped behind the enemy lines. The plan was for the Australian Royal Navy to get them out via landing craft which would be waiting for them in a cove under the Cliffs of Bruneval. Accompanying the paratroopers would be the Radio and Signals Expert - Flight Sergeant C.W.H.Cox of the RAF. This man would play a vital role, he was to drop with C company and extract various pieces of the Radio Location Device - a difficult job that would probably be done in a hurry under fire.

Aerial photographs together with info from the French resistance showed that the cliffs were well guarded by pillboxes and barbed wire 6 to 10 feet thick in places. Mines were in abundance and Lieutenant Ross of the Royal Engineers, also with this party, was given the task of clearing a safe path through to the beaches where the landing craft would be waiting.

On the night of February 27th 1942, with clear moonlit skies, no wind and calm waters across the Channel the Whitley Bombers carried their cargo of paratroopers to their destination, Bruneval. They had to get in - and out, quickly and efficiently with the components of German radio equipment intact and Flight Seargent Cox alive and well.

Some online references;

Bruneval Raid

Bruneval - Excellent French webpage

British 1st Airborne

If there was light snow on the ground but you don't want to freeze the water, just renumber some light snow as grass. We can throw it in CMMOS so that you can get in and out of it easily.

Two questions: I was looking at a Bruneval scenario last week. Is this a later edition of the same one ? Should I download again ?

Also, what happens when you use Clubfoot's beach scenery with this ? Or is it necessary ?

The 1st Airborne is one of the units in the Semiotics mod that is currently undergoing testing. So you'll be able to dress Frost's men in the appropriate garb.

Hi Philippe,

This is a totally different scenario to any other released on the same theme. It is released for the first time. There are several scenarios based on the Bruneval Raid. So feel free to download it and give it a try......the .cmb file has not yet been uploaded to the scenario depot, i guess it will be uploaded soon when Admiral Keth has time.

I have not used Clubfoots beach scenery so it is hard for me to comment. I used "rough" at the shoreline....."wheat" just did not look good at all ;) to give it a craggy look to match the cliffs...... although Bruneval has sandy beaches and cliffs.

Thanks for the CMOS info!

CDIC

Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

......the .cmb file has not yet been uploaded to the scenario depot, i guess it will be uploaded soon when Admiral Keth has time.

Captitalistdoginchina,

I haven't seen it arrive in my in-box. Please send it again amd I'll get it posted ASAP.