OPERATIONS DISCUSSION(nz)

Hy,

I am pretty new to campaigm design and would appreciate some help in understanding the intricasies of how these things work. :rolleyes:

In a recent game of mine, the first day I did fairly well, on the second day my reinforcements completely failed to appear !

I also want my reinforcements to enter on the map edgeand NOT be available for repositioning.

Can someone tell me how to do this. (With flags in battles it was easy but there is NO flags for such in campaigns).

Lastly, if you have made maps amd have them saved (as maps) can you please send them to me. I don't care how many I get..

Thanks

eric

I hope this is an alive and kicking area of CM as I intend to develop two or three kick ass scenario's that you will have dreams over

:D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cauldron:

Hy,

I am pretty new to campaigm design and would appreciate some help in understanding the intricasies of how these things work. :rolleyes:

In a recent game of mine, the first day I did fairly well, on the second day my reinforcements completely failed to appear !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you create an Op go to the parameters screen, there are several options to tailor the type of Op you want. They are all really self-explanatory but refer to the manual if necessary. You will have to do some tweaking and testing to get it the way you want. One reminder is setting 'No Man's Land' too high will be extremely frustrating for the defender in Advance/Assaults, unless that's what you want to achieve. smile.gif

The chance for reinforcements to appear is set by the designer. In the Unit Purchase screen you select the Battle and their chance of arriving, if you want their arrival guaranteed then put that to 100%.

I also want my reinforcements to enter on the map edgeand NOT be available for repositioning.

Can someone tell me how to do this. (With flags in battles it was easy but there is NO flags for such in campaigns).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reinforcements will only arrive at the beginning of a new battle, ie able to be setup and repositioned at will, not in the middle of one so what you are asking for isn't possible.

Lastly, if you have made maps amd have them saved (as maps) can you please send them to me. I don't care how many I get..

Thanks

eric

I hope this is an alive and kicking area of CM as I intend to develop two or three kick ass scenario's that you will have dreams over

:D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scenarios and Ops need quite a bit of testing to be 'kisk-ass', if you have done the necessary work then by all means post them for feedback and/or further testing. My only suggestion would be to get a few play-testers to really go over them, there are quite a few scenarios out there of widely varying quality, largely a hit or miss affair it seems. If you put together good battles then you will be recognized.

Hope that helps.

Ron

Keep in mind that the Operation engine in CM was primarily designed to be "reach the other side of the map" type of battle. In other words, objective battles like capturing a bridge or crossroads don't work well with the Operational engine. There are no VL flags to tell the computer AI what is important to capture. The computer AI is only interested in going to the other side of the map or defending his side of the map.

If you put rivers in your Operation then make sure there are plenty of bridges so that the computer controlled side can cross easily. If there is only one bridge then the computer units will move towards the opposite side of the map, blind of the fact that a river blocks the way. You have to test these obstacles to make sure it works well. My advice is to use rivers as little as possible.

The setup zones completely ignore rivers as an obstacle. In other words, say you have a river that is parallel to your British advance. If you have the British on one side of the river in the beginning battle, in battle #2 they will be able to deploy on either side of the river. It doesn't matter if they have a bridge or not.

test.test.test