Death rains from above....somewhere.

Has anybody else had the experience of artillery falling completely off the map? This is what's happening to me at the moment:

1) First barrage I called in, with LOS fell bang on target.

2) Second barrage had no LOS from FO, but he was in command range of an HQ with LOS. I eventually noticed shells were landing a good 400m off the side of the map. OK, it was close to the map edge where I was bombarding, so I thought it might be randomness. So I re-plot.

3) Third barrage similar to 2nd. In command of HQ with LOS. Rounds fall a few hundred meters off the map. I figure it must again be because I'm trying to stonk too close to the edge of the map.

3) Fourth attempt, I pick a cluster of enemy near the middle of the map, with direct LOS for my FO. I know he's got LOS because the delay time is short. Then the rounds started falling again off the map, behind the FO, in a similar area to where the other mis-fires had landed, even though the firing vector was the complete opposite.

What's wrong with this picture?

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by Affentitten:

Has anybody else had the experience of artillery falling completely off the map? This is what's happening to me at the moment:

1) First barrage I called in, with LOS fell bang on target.

2) Second barrage had no LOS from FO, but he was in command range of an HQ with LOS. I eventually noticed shells were landing a good 400m off the side of the map. OK, it was close to the map edge where I was bombarding, so I thought it might be randomness. So I re-plot.

3) Third barrage similar to 2nd. In command of HQ with LOS. Rounds fall a few hundred meters off the map. I figure it must again be because I'm trying to stonk too close to the edge of the map.

3) Fourth attempt, I pick a cluster of enemy near the middle of the map, with direct LOS for my FO. I know he's got LOS because the delay time is short. Then the rounds started falling again off the map, behind the FO, in a similar area to where the other mis-fires had landed, even though the firing vector was the complete opposite.

What's wrong with this picture?

I recommend reading page 214 of the manual smile.gif

I've just read it. But the answer to the scenario I've outlined above isn't covered. I've used re-plotting, LOS, command LOS and my FO is not incapacitated. The rounds are not just missing, they're landing hundreds of meters out into the green haze on every single occasion. This would indicate something beyond mere random chance.

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by Affentitten:

I've just read it. But the answer to the scenario I've outlined above isn't covered. I've used re-plotting, LOS, command LOS and my FO is not incapacitated. The rounds are not just missing, they're landing hundreds of meters out into the green haze on every single occasion. This would indicate something beyond mere random chance.

Command LOS is irrelevant for FOs. So that just leaves your situation #4 as "weird".

[ October 03, 2002, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: PondScum ]