Gettysburg!!!

• 1 month later...

I stumbled upon this last night and nearly fell out of my chair seeing the 3D terrain. I almost cried when I could, with view 1, walk from McPherson's Ridge to Seminary Ridge and look over the town and see the high ground to the south. I then followed Longstreet's path to the southwest and then came across the wheatfield to Devil's Den and up to Little Round Top. I had never seen Gettysburg like this and it looked great. I'm wondering though, given the irreverant tone of the briefing whether it is playable?

BTW, this has inspired me to start working on the terrain map for Antietam, the battle that I know very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Clark:

BTW, this has inspired me to start working on the terrain map for Antietam, the battle that I know very well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Waterloo should be ready soon, too. The trickiest bit is what kind of battle to set up on it.

I got most of the Burnside's Bridge area done even though I may have to adjust the scale to get the North Woods into the same map. Having recently got into CM, I know I will need help in figuring what units to include, where to place them and how to make a game out of this. A dumb question, is it assumed that the Rebs have to be the attacker (like Gettysburg)? What are your thoughts to get me started?

Steve

PLEASE, please let me know where I can get these maps once you have done them. Please send a copy to me. I would be ever so grateful!

In that vein, I would love to see a CM map depot started, where folks could download good maps for their own scenario design. What do you guys think? Be a great place to put those fine maps you are all doing! My E-Mail address is right here on the forum.

I would love to have copies of these jewels.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Oh and be sure and check out Sinpoet's fine program of well-known figureheads from WW2 (the movies we all love.)

You can find them at Boots N Tracks, the CM site on the Wild Bill and the Raiders page. They are really great!

http://wbr.thegamers.net

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

In that vein, I would love to see a CM map depot started, where folks could download good maps for their own scenario design. What do you guys think? Be a great place to put those fine maps you are all doing! My E-Mail address is right here on the forum.

I would love to have copies of these jewels.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's an excellent idea. I find doing the map easier than setting up a good scenario. I'll send Waterloo on when it's done. If it goes down well, I might follow up with Ligny/Quatre Bras or Austerlitz - maybe even Borodino (Guess what my favourite period is! smile.gif). Even if it's not a great map for CM, it's fun to be able to tour the great battlefields in 3D.

Guest Madmatt

Is it playable?

Well lets just say I loaded this damn thing up one night just to take a look and 14 hours later I was still playing it and had even delayed posting a CMHQ update!!!

So yeah, its playable and fun as hell too!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

WOW, im deeply honored to see people enjoying one of my first maps, Oh Ok since ya guys loved it I updated the map on Matts page and fixed some little bugs like actually having a seminary on seminary ridge and adjusted to fit in culps hills and some of the houses of the field of battle. Sorry Matt don't wanna stop you from posting anymore hehe :)

I have been reading this post and i thought that since some people are interested in having somewhere to download maps, that i would make one.

I have been working on my own CM page for a while and decided to publish it today. Check it out and feel free to submit some of those already existing maps. Maybe that will inspire more groggnards to make thier own maps and send them in : )

http://come.to/combatmission/

I only downloaded this thing to see the terrain. Damn my bones, I am now just half way through and playing. "You can't just play one turn.", is a syndrome symptomatic of fun. And that is in spite of being the

first scenario that has challanged my system.

The large map size along with huge numbers of units has my computer rather bogged down compared to all other plays I have had. That includes a scenario under development in my own locker that a fellow player is testing and complaining about being too big and bogging his system. My 500 mhtz handles that one right well. His 320 makes it marginal.

In Gettysburg the high interest of play has overcome any reservations I might have over my system's performance. My card and total memory are sort of humdrum but adequate, usually. This has me thinking upgrade or at least bolstering the memory and perhaps the card. Too early to redo the whole works. Afterall, I upgraded last Spring just for CM.

I have to admit Madmatt's report was the straw that pushed me over the brink after looking at the wonderfully evocative map.

I might just have to add him to my bones smiles or no. This has been more than a little time hit. He is right about play.

WildBill, you have seen that map I made and sent to you email which you commented favorably upon. It has now had some corrections of glitch types. If you were hosting a map collection site, would you want to have it with the units removed? I have not tested for some minimal requirement for units to have a scenario work. Perhaps it might automatically create with one objective flag or something of the sort.