Something New at TH-Forums!

TH Forums PRESS RELEASE:

Chris Crivaro and Jeff "jwxspoon" Weatherspoon have put together the first intallment of Combat Mission Basic Training. Written in US Army OPORDER format, the first training mission is the Movement to Contact.

Stop on by, read the OPORDER and download the Movement to Contact scenario that goes with the order. See how well YOU do!

jw

http://thforums.com/CMBO/index.php

Hi Guys!

Thanks Joshik, the password was intended as a joke.

Here’s my idea explained in the original letter to TH Forums:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Gentlemen,

After visiting this site and reading the excellent tips on tactics (e.g. Swamp's Flanking & Spearhead Envelopment) I had to try them out myself. The same for Gremlin's Boot Camp series, or Fionn's Articles or the many others I have read, cut and pasted, and put into my "CM tactics and tips" file. The question was... "Which scenario should I use?" I decided to make my own. My goal was to utilize the new tactics, familiarize myself with the drill, and coordinate the combined arms... Etc. Capturing the VL was for me secondary. Well it worked. I completely overwhelmed the enemy (AI). I read the "Basic Infantry Movement in Possibly Dangerous Terrain" tried it out, and destroyed my buddy in a hot seat game. We are pretty much equal in skill, so I was surprised by the result.

To make a short story long, I thought to myself, "wouldn’t it be great to have small scenarios "For Training Purposes Only." This would be a sort of expansion on the tutorial scenario that is included in the game. Has anybody else already offered this idea? (didn’t do a search) We can look at and read AAR's from other folks, but wouldn’t it be interesting to immediately try it out. The community has so many good scenario designers and the grogs have the information to share with us.

We should assume that not all players are active or prior service or have had military training. By increasing their "know how", we could enhance the players skill and knowledge, stiffen the competition in PBEM games, possibly entice more players to play PBEM (Those who are wary because of their lack of tactical knowledge (myself included) and possibly reduce the amount of redundant questions that surface in the various forums. When a player assumes the role of platoon leader or CO, one must assume that he (the character) has been through "Boot Camp" just like every soldier. For the "no prior military experience" player, the conditioning/training is probably nonexistent. By offering this information in a "hands on" fashion we could accomplish this. Surely there are enough former DI's and Range Cadre who would offer to share their knowledge.

The missions could be at platoon or company level (mission dependent) to keep it simple. The idea being that the player can learn historical battle drills, SOP, combined arms tactics, coordinated attacks, etc. The mission would be to learn a specific skill i.e.

• Fire and Manouver

• Tank-Infantry Combined Attack

• Night Recon / Armoured Recon

• Urban Operations

• Defense in Depth

• Tactical Withdrawal

• Artillery in Support

• Breaching Fortified Positions

The player learns in each scenario a new skill, repeatedly playing the scenario until successful. This could also reduce many inadvertent "Gamey" tactics.

Perhaps an excerpt from an FM could be incorporated into the scenario briefing or included with the zip file. The scenario briefing could be given in OPORDER form detailing the mission, Rules of Engagement etc. Depending on Force choice (i.e. US, German, Can., Brit) the Drills and tactics would vary. Thus, we can learn multinational WWII tactics. The player will understand his function in the overall mission.

The scenario designers can create small maps "tailor made" for the mission, with the force "set up" in parade ground formation. The player would then need to "inspect" his troops, assets, and terrain and then deploy them for the specific mission.

In conclusion, I would like to say, that it is the players responsibility to learn the game mechanics and unit capabilities.

Thank You

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps other members of the community would be interested in helping or developing training scenarios? Any help or tips would be appreciated. E-mail address is in my profile.

Thanks again

Chris