Getting your guys to STAY IN ONE DAMN SPOT

My paratroops encounter a crack German squad ensconced in a house. It's at night so it's generally not a good idea to go sprinting off into the wild. I want them to stay where they are, lay down fire, and wait for an M8 to start hitting the house with high explosive. Naturally, they decide to charge the building, with predictable results. eek.gif If I started attacking the building right away with the M8, would that keep them away from it? Is there any way to just get them to stay where the hell I put them for a few moments?

Dan

I'm sure that there are commanders in the field that would love a good answer to that one biggrin.gif

No, the nice and sometimes frustrating thing about the game is that once your men have their orders, the situation in the field may dictate a change.

You of course, back at Co or Bn HQ, can do nothing about this. Too bad you can't court-martial their commander.

It can be quite frustrating. I've endured similar situations and it can screw up the plan, but that is realism and highly irritating to the commander anytime.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Guest Michael emrys

I tried Fionn's Red Devils battle several times and gave up in frustration. The paras in that always (well...nearly always) go beserk as soon as they spot any enemy units and charge right up to them, getting annihilated in the process.

Michael

I have actually seen this work both ways so I assume it's another example of the vagaries of war that I find to be a nice feature of CM. I have had experienced units close assault the enemy to excellent effect when I hadn't quite been ready for them to do so and have also had it work to ill effect. I like the fact that units will act on their own even if it is occasionally to the detriment of my plans. It's probably a trade off in terms of the coding.

Ghost