How do you get

Havilandt,

To my best knowledge, no, engineers/pioneers can not blow up bridges. :(:(

CM just does not want us to have the enjoyment seeing that bridge nuclear explosion like that of blowing up buildings. It also does not want us to see those logs flying sky high. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Cheers, Richard ;);)

Piggdogg has it right, bridges generally weren't blown up in the middle of combat, hence blowing up bridges isn't within CM's scale. However, here is what you can do if you want to create a scenario featuring a bridge demolition:

Russelmz has an awesome scenario on his website, in which you have to choose whether to blow up a bridge and possibly strand your troops behind enemy lines. It's a great game, and I encourage you to check it out. I'm too lazy to go look up the url, but the address is in his sig, in the FAQ thread on the main board.

Idea stolen from Russelmz:

Here's what you do:

1.Place an open ground tile where you want the bridge to be. Pretend this open ground is a bridge. Put about 10 AP mines on it, at the end near the shore.

2. Change the open ground to a bridge. Put about two platoons of engineers near the bridge.

3. Take a small, worthless unit, such as a split rifle squad out of ammo, and put it near the bridge as well.

4. In the game, run the split squad across the bridge. It will hit the mines, letting the engineers see them.

5. Move engineer squads near the bridge, but not quite on it. When they are within (IIRC) 15m, they will throw their satchels at the mines. After about eight satchels, the bridge will be blown up.

Make sure you tell people in the briefing what they have to do in order to blow up the bridge. If you do create a demolition, be sure to test it out. Some experimenting may be necessary, and your results may vary.

If you want to make this whole thing a little easier, place a TRP on the bridge, and include an extra elite 81mm spotter. Make it clear in the scenario briefing that the spotter can only be used for targeting the bridge to blow it up, and that after the bridge is gone, the spotter must hide and not target anything else.

[ February 24, 2002, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]