Bug: Inaccurate/Undisclosed Kill Numbers

After playing some scenarios with less-than-ideal visibility and weather conditions, I've noticed that the casualties inflicted by a unit are not updated for an accurate display at end-of-game.

For example, in one rainy battle, I had a 120mm mortar spotter blast the bejeezus out of a pair of advancing platoons w/support teams crossing a wheatfield about 300m distant from the spotter. I could see units getting waylaid, and there were a couple of "bodies" left in the field. During the game, my spotter was credited with inflicting zero casualties. That's fine--at the range and under the visibility conditions, it couldn't be verified.

At the end of the game, when given the chance to view the map and every detail about every enemy unit, I discovered two 2" mortar and one company HQ had bought it in that field. However, my spotter was *still* credited with zero kills. As his arty was the only thing hitting those units in that wheatfield, I know he was responsible for at least 10 kills--and I'd like to see him get the credit for it so I can nominate him for the Iron Cross (2nd class). smile.gif

Additionally, in that scenario, one 75mm AT gun took out two vehicles that were only partially identified as possible Churchill and Cromwell tanks. At game's end, I could see they were Cromwell VIIIs. That ATG was credited though with two "unidentified vehicles" destroyed throughout the game and at end of game.

As long as we have full intelligence of enemy units at the end of the game, I'd really like to see full intel regarding the casualties inflicted by my own units.

Dar

Guest Big Time Software

You only get listed credit for known kills, so when visibility is poor, what you described is likely to happen.

Charles

I understand the reasoning for that during the battle, but I fail to understand why we can't get accurate kill totals after the battle.

During the battle, I expect the "fog of war" from revealing details about units I haven't seen or identified yet, but at the end when I can walk through the map and see every unit my opponent has left and every detail down to ammunition level and casualties, I would certainly expect to have accurate kill totals for my own units in return.

Yes, it's trivial, but it's another way of "keeping score" and determining not only which were my most effective units, but also which are the most effective weapons platforms for future reference. E.g., if I can't determine how effective that quad 20mm flak on the SdKfz7 was, or that 75mm IG, etc., I may never buy it again.

I hope you'll reconsider this for subsequent versions.

Dar

Guest Wally'sWorld

Actually, I like the way it is now. When a fighter pilot in WW2 returned to base, he would be credited with 'known' kills and also 'probable' kills. This should be the same in Combat Mission. If my squad or spotter is close to identify the enemy accurately, then the kill should be known. But if not, then it should still be an unknown kill even after the battle is over. As for knowing what equipment is good for attacking different targets, I guess that you should get someone close enough to identify the target correctly. That's 'fog of war'. I hope BTS leaves it as it is.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dar:

I understand the reasoning for that during the battle, but I fail to understand why we can't get accurate kill totals after the battle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I'd love to see the after-battle "MAP" view reflect the actual casualties caused by each unit.

Regards,

- Erik