Bocage Attack Scenario Recommendations

I have a new scenario that fits the description.

Title: After St. Lo

Type: Allied Attack (fictional)

Date: July 1944

Weather: Clear

Length: 30 turns

*****Play as Allied vs. computer (using default setup) or

as double-blind two player game

Late July 1944- With the American capture of St. Lo, the pressure is on to exploit the breakthrough of Operation Cobra.

Combined-arms teams of infantry and tank companies race to seize French villages before German defenders can regroup.

Design notes:

This scenario is loosely based on George Wilson's account of

the battles for St. Gilles and Le Mesnil Herman in his book If

You Survive (NY, Ivy Books, 1987).

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send it on.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rogue male:

Okay, managed to move fingers just a couple more times and go to DK site. It's Sunday after all. AI is good too. Thanks for the tip GB!<hr></blockquote>

Heh no problem. smile.gif Maybe give the Germans a bonus or somefink. If you are not sure, just email Mensch, who made it. I am currently having one tested, too.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

You may also want to try 'A Long And Bloody Mile'. Its longer than you requested, but it has a low foece density. I suggest giving the Germans a +25% advantage against the AI<hr></blockquote>

Oh, that is published now. Let me go to the depot... ;)

My latest scenario "Premier Sang (First Blood)" fits your description, though the map maybe a bit large for your liking.

It's an historical advance/delay action between 2nd Free French Armored Division and 9. Panzer-Division elements, in early August.

Make sure to play the French and give +1 experience (or + 25% forces) to the Germans using default setup if you play it against the AI.

I have also had some pretty good feedback from pbem players on this one.

You can find it at the Scenario Depot or at Appui-feu http://appui-feu.panzershark.com/

Have fun!

Joël

Don’t forget to vote for your favorite Bocage Scenario of the Month (and all the other categories) A new feature has been implemented on a trial basis. Now you can vote for your favorite battle or operation in up to 13 categories. On or around the end of each month, snazzy medals (graphics, not real ones) will be awarded to the battles and operations, which garner the most votes in a particular category

Currant standings in this category as of 5.25PM PST 11/18/01 is

Blood & Bocage

2 votes

Epsom - Counterattack

1 votes

The Sunken Lane

2 votes

Btw I think Blood & Bocage fits your criteria to the letter

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Bigdog ]</p>

Currently working...er, getting worked on two bocage attacks-Villiers Fossard and Sunken Lane. Hence the post, need practice in the bocage (my esteemed opponents would probably say I need to practice on a whole lot more than that smile.gif ). Suprised the veritable "kotay" hasn't ambushed this post yet. tongue.gif Again, thanks for the suggestions.

If you want a smaller version of Bocage fighting, try Painful Progress.

Bocage fighting without a doubt is the most frustrating of any battle.

An interesting look of a mix of tanks and infantry is the Barkmann scenario, Le Lorey, A Hard Stand." It was included on the original CD of the game so you already have it.

Loosely based on Ernst Barkmann, Panther Ace and his two wingmen as they take on a slew of American tanks and infantry.

They are moving forward to support some retreating German infantry. The key to winning with tanks is the proper use of your three Panthers, which are highly outnumbered.

It is an exercise in armor skill with a little good luck needed for success.

Here is the text from the game.

Title: le Lorey- A Hard Stand

Type: Meeting Engagement

Date: July 26th, 1944

Weather: Clear

Terrain: Dry

Turns: 20

Scenario Description:

Slowly, ever so slowly, Allied forces pushed out of the Normandy beachhead. American and British tanks were now ashore in plentiful numbers and the German armored units that had finally been released by Hitler were having a very hard time of it. Those that survived the trip to the front lines through the harrowing enemy air raids found that defensively the terrain was very much to their advantage.

The British and Americans were now advancing through hedgerow country. This proved to be an Allied tanker's worst nightmare. Ambushes took place at every twist in the road. The Germans carefully hid themselves among the giant thick hedges that bordered roads and property. They could not be seen unless at point blank range. Tank engagements were all conducted in very close quarters, with German armor almost always able to get off the first shot.

Sergeant Ernst Barkmann was a tank commander in the SS Panzer Regiment 2 of the Das Reich Division. Beginning the war in Poland as an infantryman, he later transferred to the Panzer Corps. It was here that he proved to be one of Germany's top tank aces.

In the fierce fighting on the Eastern Front, Barkmann was awarded the Iron Cross First Class for his valor in the fighting around Kharkov in a Panzer Mk III. When the new Panther tanks arrived for the massive tank fighting at Kursk, Barkmann was the one of the first to receive one. He continued to prove his prowess in armored warfare.

Early in 1944 the Das Reich Division was transferred to France. To counter a possible breakout from the beaches by American forces, the division was assembled in the area south of St Lo.

On July 8th, Barkmann registered his first American kill, an M4A3 Sherman.

His streak continued. The next day he and his crew cremated two more. A few days later, another three had been confirmed as definite kills by Barkmann. There were always harrowing moments for the young, handsome sergeant but somehow he survived. In one battle, his tank was put out of commission. He returned to headquarters for further orders.

While there taking a moment of well deserved rest, an urgent request for help came in from four of his fellow tankers who were surrounded and under heavy fire. He grabbed the nearest available Panther and grimly noted the fresh blood stains from its previous commander that painted the hatch interior in grotesque patterns.

This was no game, and no one knew it better than Barkmann. He found his comrades and with two other Panther tanks roared to their aid. This action meant another two tanks would be added to his growing tally of kills.

His last engagement before the major retreat to Germany would take place on July 26th, 1944. Receiving reports that strong American tank forces were advancing south from St Lo following the massive air raid in the area, Barkmann and two other Panther tanks set up an ambush in the hedgerows near the village of Le Lorey.

All crews were at battle stations, the tension of a month of hard fighting etching lines of fatigue indelibly into their faces. Positioning his tank in an ideal ambush position at a crossroads, Barkmann sighted a long column of enemy vehicles approaching him.

His gunner, Corporal Pooggendorf, estimated the distance at around 200 yards. Barkmann tersely barked the order to fire. The Panther shuddered as its main gun erupted flame and smoke. Almost instantaneously, more flames erupted from the lead American tank. The others behind it in the column began frantically backing away.

The fight continued. The crack of the gun, the clang of the empty shell casings and the slamming of the breach all added to the horrid din of war inside the steel monster. The sky began to fill with smoke as Barkmann's tank scored one hit after another. Both of his companion tanks were hit and lost.

The German sergeant cooly surveyed the terrain, found more targets and fired upon them. His keen eyes spotted two Shermans flanking his position through the thick haze of battle. His 7.5 cm gun barked. One Sherman was hit and burst into a fiery death pyre for the American tankers.

The second Sherman managed to get off two quick desparate shots, hitting Barkmann's tank both times. Then Barkmann's cannon spoke with a wicked authoritative growl and the second Sherman took a leap backward and was still. No further fire came from that direction.

Though a heroic stand was made, it could not last. By now Barkmann's Panther, # 424, had taken numerous hits. The escape hatches were twisted and jammed. His driver had suffered a serious neck wound and screamed hysterically in pain. One track on the massive steel cat had been blown away.

The zimmerit protective covering of the tank had been peeled back by armor piercing 75mm rounds. Armor flaking inside the turret from enemy hits had created further wounds to his crew. Enemy artillery shells were bursting all around his position.

Even worse, he could hear the drone of the Jabos (enemy fighter bombers) above him, searching for him in the dense smoke. He had done all he could. Barkmann spoke to his driver calmly, reassuring him.

The driver immediately came back to his sense, climbed into his seat, and wrestled the tank into reverse. He then slowly backed it out of the fight, the tank twisting and waddling in a crab-like motion.

Once out of the action, German infantry was stationed nearby. Witnesses to the battle, they were stunned. They dramatically attested that Barkmann in this engagement had taken out well over a dozen enemy vehicles. His tally included halftracks, trucks, a jeep and nine Sherman tanks. His sacrificial stand at the crossroads would be recognized by his later receiving the award of the Ritterkruez (The Knight's Cross).

Wild Bill

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

If you want a smaller version of Bocage fighting, try Painful Progress.

Bocage fighting without a doubt is the most frustrating of any battle.

An interesting look of a mix of tanks and infantry is the Barkmann scenario, Le Lorey, A Hard Stand." <hr></blockquote>

Bill, Thanks for the post. I've had a go at Le Lorey and thought it was a fun scenario. Managed a major Axis vic. Although I don't think I'm that good. What bonuses would you suggest for the AI on this scenario? I'll check out Painful Progress. I'm getting some great suggestions, now to find the time to play them.

smile.gif It's too bad CM mission didn't model openings in the bocage once an armored vehicle had passed through. Attacking would be somewhat easier for the mounted or unmounted infantry.