CREATING A SALIENT

If your familiar with the battle of Kursk and how the germans attacked from the north and south trying to cut the salient in half and trapping the Russians , this is what I am trying to recreate in the west. A ficticious type of miniture Kursk. I don't know how to properly have axis forces in the north and south attacking in an attempt to meet up. Can someone lay the hypothetical instructions of how the editor would accomplish this. I have tried some zone modes but maybe am not doing it right .How are the paremiters to be set up.?? What about all these various zone colors. Help me create another really fun battle.

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Well how about this: Start out with German recon forces at your start up points. They begin the attack, I assume on a rear area? Then have strong German infantry come as reinforcements at the startup points (roads?) few turns in to the battle. Or start the battle with strong infantry on the flanks too blast 2 holes in the allied lines, then have your encircling forces as reinforcements appaer at your jump off points. or just make 2 maps for each main thrust. The Kursk battle field area was quite large after all.

Guest Michael emrys

CM is really the wrong scale to represent what you are after here. Kursk involved entire armies on both sides. CM models at most a reinforced battalion.

At CM's scale, a salient was highly unusual and probably would only exist at a highly irregular terrain feature such as an oxbow of a river or a spur of a ridge. Even then, it would be held only if it were absolutely vital to have it. The reason is that such small salients are easy to nip off in addition to being hard to supply.

Of course, you could depict a small part of a larger battle that was being fought against a salient, but it wouldn't give you the full flavor of a salient fight.

Michael

I think I've understood your question, and will answer it in spite of M Emrys' comment about historical correctness. After all it's not unusual to have bathtub scenarios.

The way to go is to;

1) Have a large map, allowing some no mans land between attackers and defenders.

2) Make north and south edge friendly to the Axis while east and west is friendly to the Allies.

3) Put at least one large victory flag in/near the centre of the map.

About the setup:

If you want to do it in Kursk style, give the Allies plenty of fortifications (large mine fields littered with wire), towed ATGs and artillery (heavy mortars). Normally any point of the advance route should be covered by 3-7 ATGs at different locations. Any route not mined is a pre-registered artillery target.

Allied armour comes as reinforcement later on, like turn 20+, when the Axis tanks have been crippled.

Hope this helps

Olle

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 08-31-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SEVERE:

What about all these various zone colors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can use these to force separate setup areas for different formations on one side. as an example, say you have 3 infantry companies and want to keep the player from overloading one side of the map with all 3. Using the different colors, put each company in a different colored sector. When the game is played, the player will be able to move forces around in their own sector, but not move between sectors. If you don't want the player to move the units at all, use the lock command during the scenario design.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

yeah I got a battle i'm still tweaking called patton strikes, it's a "what if" Patton got his way and attacked the Bulge in the Ardennes from the south cutting off the Germans. Instead of spending a month sending in Americans head on into the meat grinder without proper cold weather gear.