High explosives charges in german AP rounds

I noticed that Russian T34 has 'large HE charge' and noticed that this wasnt in german tanks.

What I know of the german 37L45 KwK 36, 75L24 KwK 37 and 88L56 Flak 36, they had HE charge.

I don't have accurate figures for others.

KwK 36 had ~13g of PETN.

KwK 37 had 80g of Fp02 and 10g of TNT.

Flak 36 had 31g of PETN and 117g of Fp10.

These HE charges causes considerable difference in the effect after penetration.

Don't know the specifics but I know from past Beta board conversations German AT with explosive filler is modeled in the game where appropriate.

I recall one scenario on the CD my Tiger II had run out of AP shot but was till penetrating T-34 fronts at 1000 with HE! It must have been counting the AP with a large explosive filler as HE.

HE and AP(APHE) rounds are different.

HE rounds do penetrate armour as well, why else would russians have used 152mm guns for antitank purposes with just HE loadouts ;)

If 152mm is capable of beating up Tiger, I'm sure 88mm HE does the same for light tanks and some medium tanks.

but most important part of the 'APHE' rounds (AP rounds with HE filler) is to explode after penetration, which will make quite a mess inside the tank, unlike conventional AP round, which does have bit better penetration, but which has much smaller area effect after penetration (spalling/direct hits into critical spots)

I don't know what to think of CM's modelling, whether the above mentioned ammo are APHE or AP, when I have so often seen penetrations but still see the tank firing - which indicates it wouldn't have exploded inside the tank - while seeing tanks like T34 making up a havoc in tanks after penetrating.

[ October 16, 2002, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Fishu ]