PBEM problem i cant seem to fix

I'm playing against an opponent via pbem. He own a PC and I own a Mac OS9.1. When I would send my pbem, he then receives it as a sit. file, which he is unable to open. :( I ran into this problem before with another player and fixed it by compressing the file into an exe. file, so Windows should have no problem opening it. :cool: But that didn't work this time. :mad: I told him to double click the file to see if it would extract into a text document. He hasn't gotten back to me yet. But I'm sure he would have known. Has anybody run into this type of problem before? :confused:

Any help would be great :D

Thanks

If Stuffit can make a .ZIP archive, I'd utilize that. If it can't, then you could try out the Mac shareware ZipIt, though I can't tell you how good or bad it is.

There's one other issue about the encoding of the email and it's attachments. If there is a setting for "MIME" you may want to check that I'm not sure what the default for a Mac would be, but it may be 'binhex', which you would want turned OFF or set to 'Base64' encoding - otherwise choose 'none'.

Something else to consider, though I don't know if such settings actually exist in your email client or compression software... if there is any decompression software in the "decompress chain" that is "translating linefeeds" (i.e. translating end of line characters to be mac end of line characters) then it will seriously destroy the uncompressed file.

Check all your prefs in Eudora AND in Stuffit Expander to see if either have "translate linefeeds" on. Make sure they are off, then try again. Outlook may be telling the stuffit engine to not translate linefeeds ever, causing it to work, or Eudora may be telling the stuffit engine to translate when it should not. That would explain why one works and the other does not.

Thanks! I just installed ZipIt. It seemed to work, as far as the compression goes, but I haven't heard back from my opponent. As far as everything else, I've checked and done it all. Unfortunately Stuffit doesn't have zip setting. I'm also at a slight disadvantage using an older operating system(OS9) I'm glad to hear CMx2 will use OSX.

Thanks again!

John