CMAK won't run

DaveR

Hi guys.

I'm having problems getting a retail (english) version of CMAK to run on my machine.

It seems to install OK, but when I try running it nothing happens. Though I have also noticed that it seems to lock-up my CD drive, it won't respond nor can I eject the disc until I do a re-boot.

My system is

Win XP

P4 @ 3.0 GHz

512 DDR ram

GeForce 4 MX440 video card

I've checked all the compatibility stuff as suggested in the troubleshooting guide but I can't get it running at all.

Can anybody suggest anything that I can try. Thanks in advance.

Dave

When you launch CMAK what do you see on the screen - nothing ? The first process is the resolution selection screens, which should show a box with the currently attempted resolution listed inside of it. The rest of the screen will be black.

Which driver version do you have ? Do you have anything running in the background such as anti-virus or a software firewall ?

When CMAK finished installing did you see the dialog boxes at the end or did it just stop installing ? I'm actually not familiar with the CDV version of the game (if that's what you have). The CDV installer may be a bit different from the BTS one.

What CD or DVD drive do you have that you're trying to run CMAK with ? Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates for it (though it would be quite rare for one to fix a problem with certain copy protection schemes) ? Have you checked your disk for any smudges/dirt/dust or any scratches (which will obviously be harder to remove) ?

I just get nothing happening apparently. I just seem to stay in my windows desktop and that's it. Though I have now discovered that something must be going on, because after i try to launch the game I've checked the Task Manager. Though there is nothing listed as running I've found that my CPU usage goes upto 50%.

I've made a point of upgrading my video driver to the latest version for my GeForce card. I've tried running without any anti-virus software and firewall running, and yes, even checked the disc which appears smudge/scratch free.

Frankly I'm stumped as to what to try next

So you double-click on whatever icon to launch CMAK and nothing appears on the screen or in the Task Bar ? Does Alt-Tab bring up anything ? Right-click the shortcut you use to launch CMAK and select Properties and then the Compatibility tab. Make sure that no settings are checked for compatibility.

Which specific driver are you using, the 53.03's ? Do you have antialiasing or anisotropic filtering enabled ? When you check the Task Manager what is running ?

Though it shouldn't make a difference for your particular problem, have you downloaded and applied the v. 1.01 patch for the CDV version ?

I have about 9971 files for CMAK (no mods installed) in a v. 1.01 install of the BFC version. The CDV version may be slightly different.

[ February 27, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]