Issues with PC Mod Files on the Mac

Mac users,

thought I'd start a thread to capture any mod textures that dont quite work on the Mac. This way we can work on fixing them and uploading versions that work properly on the mac.

So, what I'd like to have mac users do is post here if you load a mod and have a problem with it. THe most common issue will be the presence of pink/purple lines/dots/whatever in the game, as the mask color used for the PC and Mac are slightly different, or may be inadvertantly changed during by the mod author.

Try to identify the mod, date downloaded, and what textures have the issue. I'll post an example tonite, or John Morse can, as he found some tiger mods that needed fixin. John, if you read this before I post the info, can you do it? Thanks!

Also, post if you have fixed the texture in question. If so, we wont waste time doing it, and I will contact you for a copy (or send me an email saying you have it, but dont send until I ask for it. My email box is overflowing right now. :) )

For example:

MDMP-1 pack: Tree 536.bmp has an issue. This was fixed in MDMP-2.

Hopefully there wont be many, but lets list them here. As they get fixed I'll post that it is fixed and uploaded, etc.

thanks!

dave

------------------

History is made at night

I found some issues (ie porple areas) in the space between the tread and front and rear road wheels on the following:

DesertFox Tiger 314

HiRes Tiger (and two earlier versions)

II have made corrections to color. Prob is in the satuaration % of magenta.Needs to be 100%. I do not know if it is my set up (iMac DV SE) or someting about the transmission.

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 09-23-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

Dave,

I have stayed away from mods altogether because with my ancient TechWorks VooDoo 1 4MB it just didn't seem worthwhile. Have I been too conservative?

Michael

Michael,

Stay away from any texture mod that has "Hi-Res" in the name and you should be fine.

You would be ok with the stock MDMP set with the low res grass for instance.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Michael,

let me know how the mods work on your video card. Slowly putting together more info regarding the mods and would like to include tips (besides the hi res one MM provided) and observations in the next readme/clipping

thanks!

dave

------------------

History is made at night

Guest Michael emrys

Dave,

Last night I DLed the MDMP with the lo-res grass to try out. I loaded the grass, trees, and M-10 mod to check them out.

Haven't had a chance to look at the M-10 yet, but the trees and grass are not such a great hit on my system. The grass looks okay, but is nothing special and it is slightly harder to spot elevation changes than with the original textures.

Frankly, the only difference with the trees is with their "bases". This would be okay since I normally play with trees turned off and only see their bases. Trouble is, it's harder now to distinguish between woods and pines. Also, it looks kinda like dog vomit. This not intended as any kind of criticism of the artists. I've seen these mods in screenshots and they are very handsome indeed. It's just that you need more than the 4 MB of VRAM that I've got to get the most out of them. I just don't have the resolving power. In addition to the minefield signs being unreadable, the exit mapedge signs are almost unrecognizable.

Soooooo...I think I will go back to the stock textures until I upgrade my system. Thanks for trying, guys. Maybe next time around.

Michael

Michael,

thanks for the info. 4 megs of Vram is just adequate to play. With 16meg, the new bases for the trees and woods are very nice indeed.

I went back to the original CM yesterday and wow, what a difference. No knock on the original textures, just that the new ones have learned and improved so much from them.

Then again, CM is playable regardless of the textures.

Guess you'll need to go get that new G4 cube, right? :)

seriously, thanks! Oh, the M-10 you wont see much difference in. Have you tried the snow hezter and other textures? Those are easy to see the difference in.

as for grass, I'm still not certain which one I like the most. I am currently using the velvet grass, and like most of it, but not completely sold on it yet.

thanks again!

dave

------------------

History is made at night

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aikidorat:

Guess you'll need to go get that new G4 cube, right? :)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I'm thinking of going all the way with a 500MHz G4 DP, probably with a VooDoo 5 unless something better emerges in the meantime. I can't afford to buy a new computer every year, so I have to think in terms of getting something that will last me a few years. The Cube is nice, pricewise, but there's no place to stick an upgrade card.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Have you tried the snow hezter and other textures? Those are easy to see the difference in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't played in the snow yet so no need for them. I still have the mods on my desktop so I may get around to them yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>thanks again!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And thank you, guys. I expect I will be having occasion to thank you again. smile.gif

Michael