Romanian Pioneers/forces . . .

Gpig

My opponent and I were playing a TCP/IP battle last night and allowed the computer to pick forces for us.

I was the Axis on defense and recieved an regular/veteran force of Romanians. For infantry I got a Pioneer platoon which consisted of one platoon leader and 8 SQUADS!!!

This was pretty freaky, as I had lots of terrain to cover but only one leader for my WHOLE DEFENSE! smile.gif

The HQ team did have COMMAND +2, which helped, but still. At least 1/3rd of my infantry was out of command at any given time. I had a lot of fun running the HQ around from trouble spot to trouble spot.

It was QUITE the fun battle, however. And I did manage to win. But boy was I surprised at the 8 squad platoon.

I'm just assuming this is correct. But I did not go and double check in the unit purchase window afterwards.

Can anyone confirm the 8 squad Romanian Pioneer platoon? Is this a regimental unit/asset? Divisional?

There was also a light MG team that stated it had 6 men. This seemed odd since the unit was one of those "lie-down" LMG units. I was surprised to see 6 men were needed to operate it. (funny mental image.)

Also, the little Renault with the 37mm is a real light UBER tank! Love them little babies. smile.gif

The pioneer platoons in June 41 consisted of 1 HQ, 9 squads and depending on what division type, 1 or 2 of the 6-man LMG teams (the pioneers for the Security divisions also get 2 flamethrower teams).

Fast forward one year and the number of squads drops from 9 to 3, but again depending on the division type you could also get as many as 3 LMG teams, a 60mm mortar and PTRD AT team.